• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1200 Miles starting Friday! M818

rhinob

Greetings,
A friend and I are driving a low miles M818 tractor 1200 miles starting on Friday the 17th. Aside from the obvious, what special tool and travel considerations would you folks advise for this long ride. I'm bringing a complete drivers manual, tools, VOM, 3/8 I.D. hose and clamps for fuel line repair, etc. Looking forward to reporting the actual driving experience here once we've gotten home. Drive will be from Ft. Smith, AR to Washington, D.C.
Thanks much.
Den

Last edited:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
no 3/8 fuel line on the 818 bring some 1/2 inch and some 5/8 as i recall. bring some water spare fuel in cans, something to eat and some extra cloths as it hot this time a year. just came across miss and man did i feel that heat... take plenty of pics an im sure therr are many members along the way that would help you out of a pickle. as long as you check everything out as possible there should not be much problems ... good luck and if a fellow named wreckerman calls dont answer ... its really murphy in cognito hahah:-D

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it uses a compressor wrench, bring one. Belts for the accessory drives should be brought as well.

hoopsoft

I've never had belt issues, but I've need brake fluid,oil, and coolant many times. I think brake fluid almost more than anything, and stuff to bleed the brakes with. Batteries of course too. Gas might be helpful.. Starting fluid, etc.

dm22630

BRING BELTS!!!!! No one keeps them in stock!

I broke both of the fan belts on my 818 when I was over 400 miles from home.....it killed the batts (since the fan turns the generator belts). I could not stop for more than 10 minutes without overheating & had to drive straight home. This was in cold weather also (32 degrees).....if it were any warmer....the truck would have overheated & I would have been stuck.

Good luck!

rhinob

Wow, thanks for all of the great replies. I should have mentioned that we're getting off an aircraft to get this rig, so we've only so much room for 'stuff.' The machine is from a private owner who has loved this thing to incredible shape. Belts are rubber based so yes, that would be prudent, but I suspect we won't have them to bring.

Hey, anyone have a photo of one of these babies with super singles and 52's??

gpp111

Here is somethnig we plan to haul

The plan is to use the M818 to haul some of our other vehicles including this converted OT-810 that is used in WWII reenactments

Attachments

Armada

Here is a pic of the M818 we are buying and driving from the Oklahoma border to Maryland.
Nice truck! Love the color. ;-)
You've got a recent overhaul truck so that will really help. Still plan for problems, but your odds are much better that you'll have an uneventful return.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks