• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12K Halfshaft Outer Joint Removal

JO-0321

Hey all...

I was on here in previous threads trying to figure out how to get the outer joint off of a 12K half shaft so I could clean it up well before re-greasing and putting a new CV boot on. I found some great information via YouTube for 10K halfshafts, but nothing for the 12K. I also came across some good debate about whether that outer joint needs to be removed or even if it should or should not be. Hopefully I can provide some clarity on this:

According the TM, the outer joint IS designed to be removed. CV boot kits should come with a new spacer and retaining ring for both the inner and outer joints...you definitely want to replace the retaining ring that holds the outer joint together as it can get a little roughed up in this process. The TM says to use a slide hammer to remove the outer joint. I didn't have one of those, so I used a hammer. Before you lose your mind on me for just beating on a joint...watch the video I'm linking here showing a tool I made. The tool protects the joint cup from any damage from the hammer and works very well in lieu of a slide hammer.

The other debate was whether or not the outer joint needs to be removed to be cleaned up or not. I suppose this is personal preference if there's no dirt, dust or debris in the grease...but you're definitely going to want to clean it well if any of those are present. I chose to remove and clean mine simply because I may be a little OCD and I felt like I was half-assing it if I just tried to wipe out as much of the old grease as I could before applying new grease.

So, without further adieu...here's the video I made. I'm not a videographer or a mechanic so its the best I could do...hopefully it helps someone out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks