• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12V starter guidance needed

baddy3

Well, first I must apologize for starting such a blasphemous topic as 12 v conversion :mrgreen: but I do need to take the 12V conversion route as my 24v starter is finally and totally broken beyond repair. I found this on ebay: NEW STARTER CHEVROLET GMC DIESEL 6.2 6.5 HIGH TORQUE V8: eBay Motors (item 360267487294 end time Jun-01-10 15:03:42 PDT)
[FONT=&quot]What I’m not sure is if it’s a proper replacement for 24 v starter in a cucv and if it will fit:confused: Could some of you, starter experts please have a look ? [/FONT]

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you change the "type" of starter, make sure you also get a new support bracket. The direct drive (27MT) and the gear reduction (28MT) use two different brackets.

Why change to 12v when you can get a 24v gear reduction for ~$100?

Last edited:

baddy3

Although I agree with you that keeping it 24v would be the best option, practicality commands the opposite. I’m Finn , at the moment working as a demining consultant in Bosnia. I bought the 1009 two months from the US embassy. It’s really nice and clean vehicle with 40000 original miles, I love it and plan to take it with me when I go back to Finland. To cut the long story short, I’ve been warned that 24v system might not be road legal and the vehicle would not pass the MOT, but that is not my primary concern. I wanted to replace the starter with a used, genuine one from the local junkyard, but the guy asked slightly over $ 400 for it which is insane:-x…… with so few 24V vehicles around and considering extremely tempting idea of having a spare alt, I’ve come to a conclusion that the best would be to convert it to 12V……
When I took off the starter it was held only by two bolts, there was no the support bracket. I believe that’s the main reason the starter case practically split in half.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

kapnklug

I recently converted to 12V and used a 12V gear-reduction starter from QualityPower.com (# 6949 I think), it was $150 delivered and comes with the solenoid and a 3 year warranty. It works great but the support bracket needed to be modified (two new holes drilled, end cut off) and the positive cable lug needed to be ground down so it would come in from a different angle. Definitely install the two large bolts first and torque to spec before even looking at the support bracket!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks