• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12v winch from front battery??

I plan on putting a winch on my M1009 and read a couple of threads that said that hooking to the front battery was okay to get 12v, but also read that pulling too much current off of one battery was not good either. The winch would defiantly be pulling some current. Ideas, suggestions ??

Thanks-
Travis

davidkroberts

ditto on the 24v winch but to answer your question yes the front battery is 12v. If your not going to be using your winch often i dont see it causing many problems are you using the military style batterys or civilian

I aleady have an old Tensen winch that is 12v. I will probably use it quite a bit for pulling firewood up steep inclines. I have civilian batteries in the truck, just bought a new front battery that is 1000cca. Will it have issues if I use it alot and have it hooked to the front battery ?

zout

ditto on what everyone else posted. There are posts somewhere here on what that will do to the battery in the 24v setup - basically to try to hook anything on a 12v set up with them - MHO leave em alone.

I also had an issue along the same lines - ON the M109A3 I use the 24 volt Warn winch and works like a charm - pulled frickin logs outta a guys swamp with it - not toothpics - logs no smaller than 20 inch girth and full length. Just have to let it cool while you are reeling em in.

You can hook to the front battery with no issue. I just rotate the batteries around every so often just to keep the condition sort of equal. Like you I already have a 12 volt winch and but I dont plan on using it very often.

Last edited:

grayw0lf

A 24v winch is gonna be a lot more expensive & harder to find. I ran my 17.5k winch off the front battery for a while (before converting 24v to 12v for other reason) w/o problems.