• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12V winch in 24V system?

jrobinson5093

I installed a 12v winch on my deuce, it has a seperate 12v battery powering it right now. My question is can I run a power wire off one of the trucks 12v batterys and run it through a battery isolater the to the postive on the winch battery. then run a ground wire from the - of each batterys. Will this charge the winch battery with out putting the two truck batterys in a unballance?

Carl_in_NH

No, it won't. Whichever battery is the 'low side' (connected to ground) battery in the series string will be, for all intent and purpose, in parallel with the one powering the winch (once the winch battery is a diode drop lower in output voltage than the low side battery).

This configuration will result in an imbalance in the charging of the series string.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or buy a 24v winch.

steelandcanvas

It's probably cheaper to go the alternator route. Those covertors (they are nice) but they get expensive as the need for more amperage goes up. I don't know what your winch draws, but a seperate 12 Volt system (Alternator/battery) would definetly keep up with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks