• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

14.00 tires vs 16.00 tires on 5ton

reb87

This is my second posting here, I just bought a 818 tractor on the fort carson co gl auction but dont have the truck yet. Does any body have pics of a 5 ton with the 14.00 x20 tires on it? Ive seen several with the 16.00 x20 tires but I think they are too tall for what I want to do. I also dont like how close the rear tires are to each other with the 16s. Advice? Thanks, Ross/Nebraska

here you go

Ross,

http://www.clarktruck.com/trucks.cfm?step=2&listid=32

If the above link doesn't work go to clarktruck.com and click on M818. There is a picture of a nice looking tan M818 with 1400's.

We are picking up 1600's on Thursday for our M818's. From what we have read the 52's really cut into your power, so if you are hauling heavy I would do the 1400 route if you want singles. I talked to somebody at CSI who said the 1400's work well for loggers using their M818 as setout tractors. If you want the most pulling power stay with your stock 11x20's. I prefer the bad boy look of the 1600's but I'll most likely never pull anything over 30k so I should be ok.

Andy

Flea

I love how people talk about towing with the 2 1/2 and 5 ton trucks and act as if 30K is "not much" to tow! rofl

Kinda makes me snicker when I think about the towing arguments at the F-150 forum I used to frequent.

reb87

m813rc,
What wheels does your truck use with the 14.00 tires? Are the hubs flipped or is the wheel offset proper for standard 813 hubs? Also what is your top speed, the manual says 52 mph with 11x20 tires. Thanks, Ross

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wheels are the two-piece combat rims, 10" wide. They are deeply dished. On the front, the deep side is in, the wheel envelopes the hub. On the back, the deep side is out, the brake drums are out in the open. Hubs are not flipped or modified. This is the standard military setup for these trucks.
The truck will easily run 65 mph at 2100 rpm (mine has a governor, and won't go over 2100). That is indicating almost R on the speedometer, which only goes up to 60! It seems quite comfortable cruising at that speed, but I prefer to keep it down a bit at 57-58mph. That reduces the rpm, keeps me within the indicating limits of my speedometer, and makes me feel more comfortable while driving an old truck. That extra 7 mph makes a big difference if something goes wrong.

Attachments

Cdub

Here is a pic of an M809 series five ton with 16's

and a pic of my M925a1 Marine truck with 14's

With out getting into details of the wheels. The are
the same size on each truck.

hope this helps

Cheers,

C'dub

Attachments

jeli

The M932 dump I drove had 14's and an 8.3L engine. It would just purr down the road at about 65 mph. Course Uncle Sam was paying for fuel. Humvees would have a hard time keeping up with us if they had the tall cargo tarps on or a trailer.

Rattlehead

You should also consider the ability to hook to a trailer and not scarf the landing gear with the bigger tires. I have a 900 series tractor with 14's, and have called on a couple of civvy trailers for sale for cheap and I would not have been able to turn a corner without contacting the landing gear with the tires. I think this is true even with the single axle military trailers, do a search on this site for M146. This was with 11x20's. Anything bigger would have been a no-deal. See this link:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=214693

halftrack

Well said Rattlehead.

I didn't realize until after when I added 16.00's to my truck how it changes everything when it comes to trailers. They look cool but end up being a pain to deal with when it comes to trailers.