• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

14.00r20 new tires?

Sprucy636

Short story: new tires, pirelli or continental?

long story: just made my first steps into this military truck world, and I will have many questions as I go. However, if you want to read, I bought an m923a2 for a very good price, I went with this partially because of the deal, partially because I am a Cummins generator dealer and can get all Cummins parts easily. Anyway drove out saw the truck, tinkered a little, it started easy and made the over hour long drive home. Tires went flat after a day, the thing was sitting for a very long time. Half fixed the o ring in one with some rtv and it’s held air for two weeks. The problem is, one tire was shot when I picked the Truck up, the other blew out while I was mucking about my woods. So I plan to restorethis truck and will most likely put brand new shoes on it at some point right now I’m still debating on buying new or buying used for the time being. It looks like I can get used ones for varying quality and price but for new I’m limited to xml take offs of varying dates, or pirelli or continental new tires. I’m partial to continental but for a $200 difference per tire I figured I should ask if anyonehas experience with these bands.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Short story: new tires, pirelli or continental?

long story: just made my first steps into this military truck world, and I will have many questions as I go. However, if you want to read, I bought an m923a2 for a very good price, I went with this partially because of the deal, partially because I am a Cummins generator dealer and can get all Cummins parts easily. Anyway drove out saw the truck, tinkered a little, it started easy and made the over hour long drive home. Tires went flat after a day, the thing was sitting for a very long time. Half fixed the o ring in one with some rtv and it’s held air for two weeks. The problem is, one tire was shot when I picked the Truck up, the other blew out while I was mucking about my woods. So I plan to restorethis truck and will most likely put brand new shoes on it at some point right now I’m still debating on buying new or buying used for the time being. It looks like I can get used ones for varying quality and price but for new I’m limited to xml take offs of varying dates, or pirelli or continental new tires. I’m partial to continental but for a $200 difference per tire I figured I should ask if anyonehas experience with these bands.
They don't make an XML in 1400s. The continental HCS is comparable to the Michelin XZL.

You can ask a bestdrive tire store to give you an account price if you buy 6. When I bought these in 445 they were 350ea cheaper per tire on program.

Some folks still sell NOS 1400s but they aren't cheap and nearly 10yrs

Goodyear still makes new 1400s I'm the AT2 tread.

395s or 1600s are your cheaper option

Sprucy636

They don't make an XML in 1400s. The continental HCS is comparable to the Michelin XZL.

You can ask a bestdrive tire store to give you an account price if you buy 6. When I bought these in 445 they were 350ea cheaper per tire on program.

Some folks still sell NOS 1400s but they aren't cheap and nearly 10yrs

Goodyear still makes new 1400s I'm the AT2 tread.

395s or 1600s are your cheaper option
I knew I would have a typo, thank you for knowing what I mean. I think I'm okay with the slightly higher price for the slightly taller tire in the 1400s. I will give bestdrive a call tomorrow, but otherwise I'm looking at the two options you posted from colony tire on ebay, and maybe I'm being a little retentive, but blowouts on truck tires are never fun so I tend to be particular

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well you live in New Jersey so your chances of a blowout on soft military tires are pretty high on those roads. I would look at new Goodyear AT2s which aren't gonna be cheap but they are more durable and handle more impacts. Or upgrade to a Goodyear AT3 which wear excellent and are good for 40 to 70k miles but they are 1600s so a little taller than 1400s.

Sprucy636

Easy. Thems fighting words up here.

I guess I really just need to find the price and go front there, I have had luck with continentals on small trucks, but we usually run hankooks or trelleborgs on our fleet

Sprucy636

update... i found a local Michelin xl for 400 mounted on a rim so I just grabbed that for now. until I can figure out what my plans are.

also got a price on new at2's......... $2,600 per tire

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
update... i found a local Michelin xl for 400 mounted on a rim so I just grabbed that for now. until I can figure out what my plans are.

also got a price on new at2's......... $2,600 per tire
If it's a standard tractor tire looking XL take into account its probably 20yrs old.

If it's an XZL then it should be fine

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks