• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

14bolt Axle Swap into M1009

Russm

Planning to do a 14b swap into a M1009. Have some questions.

14b came from a '84 suburban. Do i need to move the spring perches?

14b has an open diff with 4.10 gears. I would like to keep the gearing but install a locker. Would this be a compatible locker? I am unsure whether I would also need a different carrier.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 14 bolt from the burb will bolt right in. You won't need to do anything with perches or mounts but you will need new u-bolts and spring plates. The spread between the u-bolts is wider.

The cool thing about the 14 bolt is the 2 pc carrier. You can bolt a Detroit NoSpin in there will little effort.

Question, is the 14B a semi floater or full floater? Full floater is much more robust.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For future reference, all 3/4 ton 14B full floaters from the 73-87 (91) era will bolt into the M1009 with the exception of bonus and crew cab rears. The bonus and crew cab rears share the perch spacing and and shock mounts with the 1 tons. FWIW, in this body, GM never made a crew or bonus cab 3/4 ton that was 4x4. All 3/4 ton crews were 2 wheel drive. Not pertinent to your questions but may help someone in the future with a search.

welpro222

I picked up 2x 14bolt axles from 1 ton trucks, luckly one has had the spring perches and shock mounts moved already. The only real pain was the springs being so close to the 3.5 inch wide brake drums and the deep dish backing plate, you'll have very little room to install the brake line and bleed the brakes. Its not a big deal, and its also nice having that stopping power in the rear if you are towing with no trailer brakes

I would recommend replacing all the brake components, wheel bearings (if they show any wear signs), and new pinion and carrier bearings. That way you should never have to dig into it again.

Russm

One more question that has come up.

I need a conversion u-joint to mate the rear drive shaft and the pinion of the 14b. I had previously ordered a 1310-1350 conversion u-joint but the end-caps are too big for the 14b pinion. Looks like the info I was looking at was wrong.
Is a 1310-1330 conversion the one I need?
The pinion on the 14b can accommodate a u-joint width (end-cap to end-cap) of 3.5"+ a hair or two more (did not have calipers to get a precise measurement)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never seen a 14 bolt with a 1330 yoke. 1310 and 1330 joints have the same size caps. Some say the 14B takes a 3R joint too.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's my understanding that the 1310 and 1330 all share the same cap size. The 1330 is wider across the joint. 1330 and 1350 share the same width but the 1350 caps are bigger. I'm interested to see what you find. Would it be possible to post a picture of your yoke? Eager to learn here.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. If the caps on the 1310 ujoint that you currently have fit this yoke, then it would be a 1330 judging by the tape. Never seen one like that, thanks for the pic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks