• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

16.00-20 tire change

Well, I wanted the GoodYear16.00-20's for my M813A1, because they have a stiffer side-wall. I put them on HEMTT 2-piece rims, and thought that was pretty simple.
Today I had to change one that was punctured by an idiot, that's another story, and it was a task.
I thought it would be a reverse of the install process, but breaking the bead was a lot harder than the install.
I unbolted the rim then tried pushing the bead down to take off the top of the rim, pry bars, slide hammer, jumping like a monkey... no go.
I did buy a tire machine from GL, so after a brainfart, I used it to remove both beads from the rim.
I then put a new tire on using my lift, as I had done before. But WOW that was more difficult than I had expected.
I can't imagine doing it in the field.

Nonotagain

Well, I wanted the GoodYear16.00-20's for my M813A1, because they have a stiffer side-wall. I put them on HEMTT 2-piece rims, and thought that was pretty simple.
Today I had to change one that was punctured by an idiot, that's another story, and it was a task.
I thought it would be a reverse of the install process, but breaking the bead was a lot harder than the install.
I unbolted the rim then tried pushing the bead down to take off the top of the rim, pry bars, slide hammer, jumping like a monkey... no go.
I did buy a tire machine from GL, so after a brainfart, I used it to remove both beads from the rim.
I then put a new tire on using my lift, as I had done before. But WOW that was more difficult than I had expected.
I can't imagine doing it in the field.
In the field, they would have driven over the tire to break the bead or removed the nuts from the rim and pressurized the valve stem.

If you have a hydraulic engine crane, (cherry picker) just sit the legs on top of the tire, run a bolt thru the lugs nuts attached to a small piece of chain, and then pump the jack a couple of times. One half of the wheel will come out of the tire.

My 5 ton had 16.00-20s on it when I bought it.On the whay home (300 miles] 2 lossed air.The first was easy as I had a spare but the second one had to be fixed on the side of I95. Whoever mounted them used 9.00-20 tubes so when we got home i had to change all 7 tubes {not fun}. I bought hemmit tubeless rims so i changed the first two myself and then paid the tire guy to do the rest{money well spent} I have tire tools but find a mini excavater work best for pulling the rim out of the tire.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks