• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

16 inch wheels on the M1009

2deuce

I've been looking for some 16" chevy steel 6 lug wheels off and on and finally found a set. They look like the M1008 wheels only 6 lug. The problem is I think they may be only 5.5" wide wheels. Tires are still on and I don't have a caliper. I have found some aftermarket 6 lug, spoke 16's but they don't look quite right. I want to run a 235/85/16 tire. I see where the cj5 crowd runs this tire on 5" jeep wheels. Anyone here with experience on this? The recommended width is 6-7". What I'm looking for is a tall narrow tire that won't rub with a stock look. These wheels should give that, but what could be a downside to being half inch under recommended?

Thanks

Ilikemtb999

Wheel vintiques makes a wheel called the series 12 that might be what you're after. They'd have to be painted but they're similar to the original wheel and come in a 16x7 and in 16x8 like the stock width.

2deuce

Cucvrus, Are these wheels the plain steel wheels that look like M1008 wheels only 6 lug?

999, I'll check out vintiques, but the price of something like that usually keeps me in the UPULLIT yard.

Thanks

cucvrus

I went and looked at the wheels I have from an older late 80's Chevy 2500 they were 5 lug. The older 4WD 1/2 ton had 16 " 6 lug steel. They tuck up under the truck unlike the OEM M1009 wheels. They will not fit and work. I had some old 16" from a Chevy that was in the 1950's they had ND from an M151 on them. They were on a M1009 I tried them out. They were terrible. I sold the wheels and tires separately on Ebay or Facebook. So I cannot help you.

2deuce

Thanks Cucvrus, These that I got were off a 1966 1/2 ton 4x4. I have not tried them, so it sounds like they won't fit. If it wasn't pouring rain today I'd put one on. I know the wheel was made because I have one, but only one. I do have a set of aftermarket spoke wheels that are 16's but I don't like the look. I have 2 of those aftermarket spoke 16's on my daily driver right now.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the event you are able to utilize the rims, I don't believe that the half inch missing will do much damage. You can always to tire pressure adjustments to come up with a satisfactory wear pattern. It would be worth bolting one on the front to determine caliper clearance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks