• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 xm211 recovery

drlogistics

This past Saturday (April 7th, 2012), I purchased my first MV. It is a 1952 xm211. The recovery was a complete success. With the help of a great friend I made the 700 mile round trip journey. I purchased the vehicle from a great SS member. It was located in Waterford OH. We hit the road at 5am, stopped once for breakfast and a bathroom break, and arrived in Waterford at 11:30am. Great communication before the trip assured that the loading of the vehicle would go smoothly. I brought my 48ft step deck flatbed trailer. But I don't have ramps. No problem. The seller loaded the truck onto his gooseneck trailer and backed the trailer up onto some makeshift ramps to match the height of my trailer. Then we just backed the truck onto my trailer. It couldn't have been easier. And I couldn't be happier. Let the work begin.

Attachments

drlogistics

Video of vehicle transfer

Here's the video of transferring the truck from one trailer to the other.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmBYTANu8lk[/media]

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice GMC and very well done recovery. Was it a cold day? Hope so or you are looking at some engine repairs??

drlogistics

Definitely needs some engine work. Smoke and water from the exhaust. Previous owner thought it could be a blown head gasket. He bought a new gasket but never put it in. So he passed it along to me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that its just a gasket. But I won't know til I dig into her.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking truck. Good job tieing it down too. Some 40 years ago, a 211 was my first MV. In subsequent years I did several engine changes and several times, I did valve jobs, in the vehicle. When you pull the head, do a valve job while your at it, on general principles. If your carefull, pulling the push rods, you won't lift the lifters out of their sockets, and hence, not have to take off the side cover.

I drove them a lot. I found that if the timing gets retarded very much at all, it will generate excessive heat in the exhaust manifold and cause it to break. They must be getting scarce now. To adjust the timing, set the distributer till it pings, then back it off a little at a time, till it won't ping any more, when it shifts into the next gear. I didn't have a timing light, that would work with the shilding.

Good Luck

drlogistics

Thanks for the tip about the timing rosco. And I will be doing a valve job-assuming its just a blown head gasket and not a cracked block. Keeping my fingers crossed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks