• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953 REO Gasser starts, then dies???

vinivicci

Hi All,

I've got a '53 REO gasser that I rigged up for plowing, and this winter in Wisconsin it is certainly gettting plenty of use. The problem is that it has started this annoying habit of every once in awhile dieing, then only restarting again for about 30 seconds before dieing again. Then eventually, randomly it will start and just continue running.
I thought maybe it sounded initially like a fuel supply problem, but I am getting plenty of gas to the carb, via an aftermarket electric fuel pump and regulator.
Other ideas? Sticky carb float maybe? Sediment in the tank clogging jets?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

cbvet

If the problem is fuel related, it would likely quit "slowly" as it runs out of fuel. You might be able to keep it going by using the choke.
I'd start by looking for an electrical problem. Maybe a bad ignition switch or bad connections at the switch.
Not sure what is the exact route the ignition takes from the switch, but at some point it must get to the distributor/coil. Look for bad wires.
I've seen bad coils do strange things, but that's a possibility too.
My gasser is currently resting for the winter, but I could probably get to it in a couple of weeks to look over the wiring setup & offer more details.
It's likely someone on here will come up with more ideas.

Eric
CBVET

badgmc56

First you need to identify if it's a fuel or spark problem. Run the truck till it cuts out and then spray carb clean or starting fluid in the carb throat. Do not open the throttle when cranking to prevent a backfire. If it starts back up, it is a fuel problem. If not I would look towards ignition. There are some simple tests for ignition diagnoses also.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would lean towards a ignition problem. Check for voltage at the distributor, everything else is inside the distributor. Could be coil, condenser, or even moisture under the cap. Could pull a spark plug wire or coil wire to check for spark.

Dennis

Barrman

Mine did this as well. I put a new coil in and have driven many happy trouble free miles since. Pull the cap off and see if the points are working, sparking and are clean. If they check out ok, go with a new coil.

vinivicci

got it...

I did eventually figure out it was a fuel pickup problem... kept tank more than half full, no problem, starts right up.

Thanks again for everyone's help

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks