• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1959 m43 b1

Deuce Driver 67

Is anyone familiar with an M43 being used as a communications vehicle? I picked one up recently and it has a conversion done to it by Lexington Signal Depot. There are two panels built into the driver side rear of the box. The larger would have an exernal generator hooked to it to power outlets inside the box. The smaller panel would have radio and/or telephone wires hooked to it. On the larger panel is a tag saying COMMUNICATIONS CENTRAL. Fab at Lex. Sig Depot. Ser#05

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seem like a radio truck. I didn't see any antenna brackets, but they could of been removed.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is an interesting looking truck. It certainly would be nice to know the story behind that conversion.

Deuce Driver 67

I have searched the internet for photos of this type of truck in service. No luck. The ceiling has fluorescent tube lighting, there is a small chalk board on the passenger side inside wall, and several 110V outlets in the back as well. The sliding ambulance door is gone and cut out behind the passenger's head. There may have been desks mounted in it. There are holes in the body indicating it may have had antennas, a roof rack perhaps??

nattieleather

Just going off of my personal military experience and my love for commo I think you have a telephone relay (switch). Basically a mobile version of your local Ma Bell telephone building. It may have also had some radios as a way of re-transmitting the phone signals but I couldn't tell you and this is just a best guess on my part. Cool truck and one of a kind. Would be great to fix up and show even if you never find out what it really is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks