• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1963 404 Unimog, Should i keep it?

goat whisperer

That looks like a fairly decent Swiss 404. The "snorkel" is a nice piece, even though it isn't the full height model.

Depending on the "oily bits" I'd say $5-8000 with the major issues fixed.
Yes... you have to keep the Mog!
The snorkel is the original one and very rare in Germnay, there haven´t been longer ones at the 404.
The Unimogs from the Swiss Army are normally in very good conditions and when you have fixed the clutch and you don´t find any other big damage you will have a nice truck and alot of fun going offroad with the Mog :jumpin:

moleary

I did some metal fab work for a guys rock buggy and installed a lift kit on his super duty.
Unless you built the buggy from the ground up then I'd say you did good! I looked at Unis for a while and it seems like folks that have them don't really part with them that often.

Maybe you could fix it up and use it in parades with your company's name on it... It would certainly be unique in most places.

KBarrell

Well I just sold it Thursday. It is going to be rebuilt and sent to Haiti for an orphanage to transport children back and forth to school. The buyer was very excited to get it. Thanks for all of the input. I still have a bunch of other stuff to deal with. I am getting ready to install a turbo on my M35 that i have, and will probably end up Bobbing this one too.Again Thank you for all of the help.

SixSpeed

Banned
Well I just sold it Thursday. It is going to be rebuilt and sent to Haiti for an orphanage to transport children back and forth to school. The buyer was very excited to get it. Thanks for all of the input. I still have a bunch of other stuff to deal with. I am getting ready to install a turbo on my M35 that i have, and will probably end up Bobbing this one too.Again Thank you for all of the help.
I wanted it. :sad::sad::sad:

Freds404

I know you have probably made up your mind by now being 8 months later, but I recommend keeping it. I have had my Mog for 4 years now and never regret the purchase.

So I too have a stuck clutch in my '62 404s Swiss troop. I screwed up, made a bonehead move and now I am going to be paying for it. I got her nice wet and parked her for a month and now she is good and stuck. I have been messing with it for a couple days now and you guessed it... still stuck. I have tried the immovable object, it spun all 4 on the pavement then proceeded to climb. I drove it all over my property hills bumps mud blah blah blah, and nothing. Towed dead weight, adjusted the slop out of it and so on. I need help. I dont want to pull the engine if I dont need to, I have enough other engine pullings to do before this one.

Has anybody gotten one of these freed up from the inspection hole? I really want to spray some WD40 in there, but I know this is a bad idea. I dont know exactly what I will be dealing with, I have never town into it. It is all original to the best of my knowledge. I have read through most of these posts, might have missed one, but I am stuck.

Ideas?

goat whisperer

WD40 might be the only way to resolve the clutch... If it works than you have to flood the clutch with brake cleaner... maybe it works, if not you have to pull the engine anyway... and if you do that you won´t repair the clutch, a new one is a must!

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fred,

You know your clutch disc is good because you were driving it, so personally, I'd spend more time trying to free it.

I've had a clutch stick on a 404 (it sat unused for 7 or 8 years before I bought it in Germany). I tried the immovable object technique and peeled the friction material off the disc and had to do a complete replacement.

When you were driving around, you had the petal down, right? That's a must to allow the disc to wiggle on the input shaft splines to come free.

That will be tough on the throwout bearing so it'd be a good idea to grease it first. There are instructions here:

Rocky Mountain Moggers - Greasing a Throw Out Bearing

Then drive the mog some more, as you have been doing, with clutch to the floor.

You might also try shortening the clutch linkage to put more pressure on the pressure plate fingers. There's risk to do that because those fingers, and the pivot points they rest on, can break (I had to weld one back together through that access hole!).

If that fails, it might be possible to back off the pressure plate bolts, through the access hole, to relieve pressure on the clutch disc. This for sure won't be easy, but compared to moving the engine to replace the clutch, it'll seem worth the effort.

[edit: if you do have to replace the clutch, that can be done by moving the engine forward. I've done that a couple of times and would be glad to give some pointers.]

Bob

I have had this gut feeling all along but didnt want to admit it to myself. I am hoping for a miracle at this point.

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe this is a nice link to have a look. It's in German, but you'll get the guest of it. The first half of the page is about wrecking the clutch during a friendly meet. Then getting the truck home and then replacing the clutch. Sounds like a nice easy job for an empty summer afternoon or so ;-)

KBarrell

404 parts available

I know you have probably made up your mind by now being 8 months later, but I recommend keeping it. I have had my Mog for 4 years now and never regret the purchase.

So I too have a stuck clutch in my '62 404s Swiss troop. I screwed up, made a bonehead move and now I am going to be paying for it. I got her nice wet and parked her for a month and now she is good and stuck. I have been messing with it for a couple days now and you guessed it... still stuck. I have tried the immovable object, it spun all 4 on the pavement then proceeded to climb. I drove it all over my property hills bumps mud blah blah blah, and nothing. Towed dead weight, adjusted the slop out of it and so on. I need help. I dont want to pull the engine if I dont need to, I have enough other engine pullings to do before this one.

Has anybody gotten one of these freed up from the inspection hole? I really want to spray some WD40 in there, but I know this is a bad idea. I dont know exactly what I will be dealing with, I have never town into it. It is all original to the best of my knowledge. I have read through most of these posts, might have missed one, but I am stuck.

Ideas?
I have some of the original extras from the 404 that i had. I found a set of new tire chains that came with the 404 new, They are even in the original canvas bags. I have an orig. Bilstein Jack with the orig. wood block with the metal side strips. I have the orig. brush that has the date on it, also a bag of orig. tools, folding tire chocks, orig. gear oil in the bottles ect. If any interest pM me and let me know.

MOGSTER

I am late posting but you can change the clutch by sliding the engine forward after removing the floor panels and radiator.kepping the engine on a engine hoist.That is the easyest way todo the job.fast and pretty easy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks