• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1963 USMC M37 tactical markings questions

Northwoodsguy

Just purchased a well preserved M37 rigged for the Marines. Sanded doors and discovered tactical markings on both doors. If anyone can help me ID the unit I would be most appreciative. I believe the square represents the 2nd Marine Division. Description: Baby Blue square, approx 5 X 5 inches, upper center of the square are the numbers 12 - Below them is the letter C. (see photo)
The truck was purchased from the military surplus in the 70s and I am its 3rd owner. It is very well preserved and not a restoration other than paint job and routine maintenance items. Thanks in advance to anyone that might be able to help!

Attachments

Northwoodsguy

Thanks for the info Steve. It is amazing how difficult it is to find much out on Marine tac markings. I've written to two USMC museums. Only one responded saying they didn't have any info on MVs after WWII. I think I am taking all the info I can find and drawing my own conclusions about the markings on my truck. Perhaps someone will see it and add to it. Thanks again

Northwoodsguy

Thanks again, Steve, for your taking the time to make the graphic! Much appreciated. The only change is, the letter and numbers are white. Hopefully, some "old" Marine will see it and say "I know that unit!" and post a response. The vehicle was surpluses by the USMC around the southern area which would include Camp Lejeune. The square, I am told, indicates the 2nd Marine division. So that is a good start. Again, many thanks.
Jim

gerrykan

Jim,
This may help, if you have not already found it.

Third post on page 2 by Mark Tombleson.
http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=233622&start=15

Using that chart yours would be: 2nd Marine Division; 1st Regiment; 2nd Battalion; C Company
I seem to recall that the Company would be a number (1= A Company; 2= B Company; 3= C Company), but that may have changed, or as usually found, different Units mark things differently.

Northwoodsguy

Thanks Gerrycan!
I had seen those designs before and came to the same conclusion you did. The letter 'C" is my biggest stumbling block. That said, the only place I find the Marines or any branch of the service using a blue background, like the markings on my truck, is in war games or maneuvers. Blue indicates friendly forces. It's a long shot but who knows? When I was with the 8th Ordnance Co attached to the 11th ACR in Germany (62-65), we would have aggressors wearing red armbands and their vehicles were marked with red diamonds as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks