• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1964 USMC M38A1

JohnnyReb

I have recently acquired a 1964 USMC M38A1. (I will upload some pics as soon as I become acquainted with the new site and system). It is mostly original retaining the 24volt system, engine, drivetrain (with the exception of an aftermarket overdrive). Painted desert tan camp, which I know is not original, with original canvas top, curtain and doors.

Wanted to share this purchase and also ask a question: Unclear about the origin of the 1960-1971 USMC M38A1s; whether they were new production by Kaiser or refubs from jeeps turned in by the Army (and other branches) after acquisition of the M151. Several sites including kaiserwillys.com, G503, M38A1.com, etc. sometimes provides information that could indicate either scenario. I have noted the USMC issued a NSN supply request to Kaiser.

Did Kaiser retool and start producing new jeeps after ceasing production more than 3 years prior or did Kaiser receive surplus M38A1s and reFub to USMC specs?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. Without a doubt Kaiser built these A1s from scratch. At the time, CJ-5s were being churned out in Toledo so the minor tooling changes needed for A1s would have been easy. Rebuilds were almost never done on manufacturer’s assembly lines.

JohnnyReb

Welcome. Without a doubt Kaiser built these A1s from scratch. At the time, CJ-5s were being churned out in Toledo so the minor tooling changes needed for A1s would have been easy. Rebuilds were almost never done on manufacturer’s assembly lines.
Thanks for the reply. It makes sense that Kaiser would not want to introduce a rebuild on the assembly line and would be able to tool up for the USMC M38A1 assuming a surplus of the original parts that were different form the CJ5 and/or had suppliers with the capacity to produce.

Some restorers have proffered the USMC model was a variant production similar to the ESP program for M35A2 to M35A3s. The 1960s USMC M38A1 had it's own data plate but some people say there are no Kaiser production numbers for the M38 series during those years.

I have not personally researched the Kaiser production numbers to verify.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks