• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1966 m35

KYHampton101

I just bought a 1966 m35 for 1500 and drove it 240 miles home. So im bout to bob it and my question is whats the tallest tire i can run on stock rims. I want to run the Michelin xzl 53' tall. But be safe on the road.. this is my first deuce and help please. Thanks.

tco3129

Run search in the deuce hot-rodding and mod forum. Those guys have tried everything. Before I got too ambitious about dressing it up I'd give the drivetrain and especially the brakes a good going over. The bigger the tire the harder to stop. May I also say WELCOME to the asylum.

KYHampton101

Thanks.. right now i have a descent oil leak. During the 240 mile trip i had to put 2 gal of oil in it. Im thinking it the valve cover gasket. I ran it at 2200 rpm all the way home. Not wide open but close. Bought it sat and parked it and left out of town for work so aint been home yet to figure it out. Maybe seals dry rotted or something . I know driver side is covered in oil. But the breaks will put u trough the dash. So far this site is awesome.

SMOKEWAGON66

Thanks.. right now i have a descent oil leak. During the 240 mile trip i had to put 2 gal of oil in it. Im thinking it the valve cover gasket. I ran it at 2200 rpm all the way home. Not wide open but close. Bought it sat and parked it and left out of town for work so aint been home yet to figure it out. Maybe seals dry rotted or something . I know driver side is covered in oil. But the breaks will put u trough the dash. So far this site is awesome.
2 gallons in 240 miles? I would have to say thats a tad bit more the a "decent oil leak" . The brakes "putting you throught the dash" is not a statement you will find in the TMs...On this site, people will HARP and harp and harp about brakes my friend. Deuces have a certain notoriety about their brakes, and even if they work well, its always a good idea to thoroughly check them out...just saying. Other then that, I think that whatever tire you decide to run, in my opinion, get rid of the 9X20 splits and get better rims. Put some good TLC into your drivetrain and brakes, and this truck will last a long time and dish out a whole lot of fun....I always like to think "its better to drive an ugly truck, then it is to sit and stare at a pretty one up on blocks...

Welcome to the site and good luck! :beer: [thumbzup]

KYHampton101

By the time i got it home it was dark. And had to go to NJ for a week. This weekend its gonna get looked over. Oil leak is first on my list. I've always took care of my trucks. But this is my first
Im thinking im gonna run on stock for a little while. But i plan on getting some bettter wheels. Keep hearing stazworks is the place to get the wheels. They're at $300 each. Most places ive called r 488 and up a wheel.