• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1967 Deuce recovery... temporary driver

91W350

Recently I sold my two deuces, being without one was rougher than I would have dreamed. We bought three rough looking deuces around the first of July and I recovered one last Thursday, the 4th of August.

Here is the post I dropped in the How Cold is it thread....

It was 90 degrees with 55 percent humidity. Deuce 1 has no brakes, will have to be towed home. No problem, I have a tow bar and the wrecker option is available if needed. Deuce 2 looks good, is on singles and has good brakes. The oil is clean, but no water in the radiator. Move on to deuce 3. Flat right front tire, instrument wiring cut, dead batteries, good oil, good coolant, good brakes, lets try this one! Hook up the air gauge and the speedometer and tach... Put my M1008 on the to charge for about 20 minutes, nothing in the batteries at all, they are history, not coming up. Brake fluid full!

Hook up jumpers again, truck fired on about the second compression stroke. Super! D turbo, oil pressure came right up, stayed cool running. Hook up the airline and air tire to 50 pounds. Pull it out and get the M1008 behind it, set up the tow bar and safety chains, stretch out the lights, do a walk around, flat tire.

I could not hear it leak, but it went 50 to 20 in about 15 minutes, Brand new Titan too... I have no option, change the tire. Get the flat off, but cannot get the spare on. Jack will not extend far enough. Put the flat back on, re-position jack, put 4x4 under it, still no go. I dug a hole in the gravel below the brake drum deep enough to get the new tire and wheel on.

The heat and humidity has me sweating like, well, lets just say there was not many above the waist dry spots.

It feels good to get the deuce moving, finally some relief from the heat. That soaked T shirt turned instant water cooler. Stop by the office to sign out and start the 70 mile back road trek home. Not a hiccup, not a thing.... Good smooth power, very little smoke, quiet running engine. Get her home and there are no leaks, this may not be the prettiest deuce, but it certainly drives good! It has an Tooele overhaul tag, 8/91 standard bore, -10 and -20 on the bearings.

I managed to crush my phone, so my road camera for the day was dead. Grabbed a couple here at home though. New fiberglass troop seat on one side, very tired wood seat on the other. Several like new Titans, good seats, old style, with the curved park brake handle, looks like a new heater and new top. I think it was non-turbo as they torched the inner panel for the J pipe to clear. Somebody has high centered the right running board and bent the lower fender and battery box door. Steering is good, solargizer on cowl, some chain dents in the hood from being pushed with a fork lift, the 72 had those too.... definitely worth saving.

I will get the little stuff fixed and some new batteries. Fix the wiring harness right with parts from the M820s we bought and hopefully this one will make somebody a nice driving truck. I am deuce less right now, I may just use it until I find one. I had high hopes of going back for the other two, but they will just have to wait. If I have to, this one runs plenty good enough to tow them home.

Too much work for an old man on a day like today with no wind or shade, I was pooped for a while there. Much better now!

Buddy did not care at all that the truck is sand colored, after a quick checking out, he wanted in! He said it sure sounds like that fun old truck we used to have... Glen

91W350

The photos are in the other thread, I took some more today!

We did not get the M820s picked up yet and I wanted to drive this thing, so yesterday I took on the task of fixing the chopped up harness. The wires were cut up in the harness, the tags are on the wire hanging on the instruments.

I started with the water temperature gauge, powered the wire up and found it in the harness. Then oil pressure and fuel sending unit. I had to cut back into the harness quite a ways to pick up the power wires and figure out the dimmer and two dash lights. I stripped the wires, used butt connectors, soldered them all, then used heat shrink tubing on them. I spent most of the day working on it yesterday and was rewarded with everything working on the first fire up.

Attachments

91W350

The air pressure is a little low, the compressor pumps right up and cycles, not sure if it is the gauge or the setting on the regulator. I will check with a different gauge before cranking up the pressure. Oil pressure fluctuates very little and it runs cool. This is a nice driving old deuce!

The cab is very solid, no floor rust, no corner rust, no rust below the vents. The box is the same way, very straight and the support stringers are nice and solid. Nothing is leaking, all axles, transmission, transfer case, engine, it is all dry!

Attachments

91W350

This old deuce was looking pretty forlorn Thursday, now it is standing on its own. My partner was pretty surprised by it. The J pipe needs replaced and the driver's side troop seat might as well not be there, what a warped twisted up mess it is!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would kill for 90° and 50% humidity. We've been battling mid 90s and the humidity in the same range. Truck doesn't look so bad but I agree, that's a lot of work in the sun.

91W350

I could not find DEISEL FUEL!!

This one does not smoke like my 72 did and it does not have the power either. It steers easier and the brakes are about the same. It sounds the same and makes a little more whining noise, but lacks the harmonic whine the 72 had on the road. Interesting how they are so different. This one has a low air light in the middle of the instrument cluster.

I have been enjoying driving it and am not looking forward to giving it up, Nice old truck, somebody will get a good one down the road. Glen

Attachments

91W350

I would kill for 90° and 50% humidity. We've been battling mid 90s and the humidity in the same range. Truck doesn't look so bad but I agree, that's a lot of work in the sun.
I had one of the Haspin T shirts on and it is fairly heavy. I stopped at Sapp Bros on US77 at I70 and bought fuel, I also bought two liters of water. I stopped 20 miles later in Abilene for another liter of water. I did not originally post it, but I was feeling weak and my vision was graying as I was finishing up. I was about done, I stopped, took off my shirt, sat in the shade on a running board and fanned the door to cool down a little. I did too much with too little to drink. I need to remember I am not 20 anymore, it takes longer to recover from doing less. Glen

ctmustang

! out of 3 isn't bad. The other 2 will give you something to do so you're not bored. Nothing like working on the green machines. Mid 90's here too but with alot more humidity-I work outside and man it is getting unbearable.
CT:beer:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glen the new truck looks pretty darned good, its definately got a lot of potential. The NO rust situation is awesome, are you sure you want to get rid of this one? You also mentioned the harmonics going down the road, my first Deuce has always had harmonics going down the road at cruising speeds my second deuce does not have these noises, they are both hard tops the only difference is the turbos? I also think its very odd but then each truck has its totally own ways of doing things! DRINK MORE WATER!!! Sounds like you were about ready to KEEL over Glen!
KK

91W350

Is this the one with the idle issue?
Yes it is! To clue the rest in, I called Chris last night, this truck hangs a fast idle, around 1000 rpm when you stop at a light or sign for instance. It is kind of unusual in that a quick tap on the accelerator pedal will drop it right to 650 to 700. I also noticed that without touching the accelerator if you load the engine, like backing up in the driveway, when the governor picks up the load, the idle kicks up again. I suspect linkage, it is just kind of odd. Glen