• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1969 M35A2 West Mitten

Looks like in 2 days I get to enjoy trial by fire on a 250 mile drive in my first Deuce. I'll be coming through Reed City, Michigan on M-10, south on M-66 to M-50, then either M-50 or US-223 for the home stretch. Figured sticking to the M's and US's was a much better plan than being a rolling roadblock going 20 under interstate speed. This way I'll only be 5 or 10 under haha! Plus the scenery is beautiful.

Truck comes with extra fuel filters, oil filters, brake cylinders, master cylinder, all sorts of seals, gaskets, and more. I plan to bring a couple gallons of Rotella T4, a couple gallons of coolant, and it comes with a bottle of DOT5. Throw in the basic hand tools, wrench and socket set, pliers, etc. I've got an IR thermometer and a set of TPMS sensors to throw on it since checking 11x pressure is not my idea of fun and I'm not trying to trash any of the G177's prematurely or the truck for that matter.

Food, snacks, and water for me, along with hearing protection. Figuring on 6 hours, not trying to break any land speed records or push anything. It'll be a memory regardless of how it goes, I just hope its a good one!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I read about your trip I thought, why in the heck would anyone want to break about that many tires to put TPMS sensors on. Then I learned that they make TPMS that are external to the tire. Duh.

Thanks for contributing to my daily knowledge. :)

Good luck on the trip. My first truck was 350 miles and I still remember it well.

Then I learned that they make TPMS that are external to the tire. Duh.
Yep, we have a set of TST sensors on the tandem axle camper. They are definitely not cheap, but having a blowout rip the wheel well out of the camper is a lot more expensive and repairs like that are never as good as factory! I definitely threw money at 11 of them for the Deuce, but for the ability to hop in and go confidently and check the tires at any time I think its worthwhile.

I got my buddy to buy them for his Pete and trailer after about the third time of "uh this tire is literally zero pressure" on a pre-trip. A decent sized investment but it has saved a lot of unscheduled downtime when an underinflated tire heats up and blows apart.

biscuitwhistler37

I picked mine up from the Manton area, drove 42 to 66, (I don't like 10), 20 to 30 and bam, 4hrs later we were home. Cruised those nice back roads at 48mph, 12ish mpg, and only had to downshift for 2 hills 😆. Hope your trip goes well, the weather stays favorable, and the traffic is light.

wiggall

Looks like in 2 days I get to enjoy trial by fire on a 250 mile drive in my first Deuce. I'll be coming through Reed City, Michigan on M-10, south on M-66 to M-50, then either M-50 or US-223 for the home stretch. Figured sticking to the M's and US's was a much better plan than being a rolling roadblock going 20 under interstate speed. This way I'll only be 5 or 10 under haha! Plus the scenery is beautiful.

Truck comes with extra fuel filters, oil filters, brake cylinders, master cylinder, all sorts of seals, gaskets, and more. I plan to bring a couple gallons of Rotella T4, a couple gallons of coolant, and it comes with a bottle of DOT5. Throw in the basic hand tools, wrench and socket set, pliers, etc. I've got an IR thermometer and a set of TPMS sensors to throw on it since checking 11x pressure is not my idea of fun and I'm not trying to trash any of the G177's prematurely or the truck for that matter.

Food, snacks, and water for me, along with hearing protection. Figuring on 6 hours, not trying to break any land speed records or push anything. It'll be a memory regardless of how it goes, I just hope its a good one!
Have a safe trip!

Made it up, made it back! Left the house at 5am, returned around 4. Truck did pretty good, although the transfer case wanted to fall out of high as I approached home. Securing the handle resolved that for the time being. I see quite a few threads about fluid, bushings, and bolts so I have a few places to start.

Engine definitely opened up after about an hour and a half, seems to like being run. Airing up the tires after that made a nice difference as well.

I did have one hub that was pushing 125-130 vs the rest at 105-110. I'll have to put that on the list as well. All in all, successful enough trip, had a great time and already learned a bunch! Thank you to all!

PXL_20240523_162808395.MP.jpg

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made it up, made it back! Left the house at 5am, returned around 4. Truck did pretty good, although the transfer case wanted to fall out of high as I approached home. Securing the handle resolved that for the time being. I see quite a few threads about fluid, bushings, and bolts so I have a few places to start.

Engine definitely opened up after about an hour and a half, seems to like being run. Airing up the tires after that made a nice difference as well.

I did have one hub that was pushing 125-130 vs the rest at 105-110. I'll have to put that on the list as well. All in all, successful enough trip, had a great time and already learned a bunch! Thank you to all!

View attachment 924139
Congrats! Glad to hear all went well. We need to see more pics! She's a beaut.

Congrats! Glad to hear all went well. We need to see more pics! She's a beaut.
Thanks! I'll have to get some pictures together. I've got a plethora of tools, parts, and such that came with it. The cherry picker for the bed, canvas and bows, winter canvas thing, ether start switch and a few cans, d turbo, master cylinder, wheel cylinder, and the list goes on.

I'm going to have to lay out stuff and take pictures to figure out what it is. I also feel like I should get the spin on oil filters. Having zero oil pressure for that long just feels dirty.

That's a nice truck!!! Glad everything went well, or well enough anyway. Now the fun begins, pmcs and wish lists 😆
Thank you!

I've got a list started, used the parking brake as an introduction to the TMs, went through as if I was reassembling it, reset all the adjustments and then worked through the procedure. The inner pad is basically gone, the outer is about 4x more pad. Someone "adjusted" it via tightening the cable and not setting the external pad height.

I'm getting a pneumatic grease gun this week. I'm trying to work my way through at least a few of the grease threads on here, but holy cow there's isn't an answer except GAA which of course is not available locally.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
734, as soon as I read your first post, the route you were taking, I had this feeling.......yup, I used to own that truck! Picked it up out of Lansing in March 2009, sold it 2018 (I think). I put the G177s, and many other items I see in the photo, on it. Took it up to Grayling from south Oakland County via I-75 several times. The more you work it, the better it runs. Never had an issue. Was a great truck!!
Pics:
Motor Muster Greenfield Village 2016
Camp Grayling 2014

Attachments