• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1978 M813A1 National Guard Paint Scheme

Truckoholic

Okay, now that I got my M813, and now that I know it was part of the National Guards 2632nd Transportation Company out of San Bruno (South San Francisco) California, I would like to restore it's paint job as close as possible to original, and would like to put other paint markings and numbers in their correct locations on the bumper and things, to make it look as close as possible to the way it did when they were using it. I have been trying really hard to find some pics of some national guard trucks online to get an idea of what kind of paint scheme they use. But I'm not having much luck.

I'm guessing that the color and paint scheme that it is now, is just a faded version of it's original self. But any idea what numbers should be on the bumper? Even if I just knew how many digits there were supposed to be, I could just make up my own numbers. What paint color do you think that used to be? Looks like CARC 383 I guess. What exactly can you get away with having on the trucks as far as wording and numbers goes without getting in trouble for impersonating an actual military vehicle? I would like to put the wording "National Guard" on it somewhere even if that wasn't originally on there, just to kind of show it's history, but not sure how "ok" that would be.

Got our local county fair parade coming up in just under 6 weeks. I am planning to have it ready for that.

IMG_20110630_184824 (Medium).jpg35553512.jpgIMG_20110630_171146 (Medium).jpg

One of the only things that was missing from this truck when I bought it, was the Protection control box. So in order to start it, I've been having to use jumper wires in the plug that should be going into the control box, and a hot wire going to the fuel shutoff solenoid. But I have a new control box on it's way from Erik. I'm excited to get that so I can start it like normal. The other thing that was missing is the speedometer/odometer. So I ordered one of those too. Still have yet to check and make sure the speedometer cable is still there. Been too busy ever since I got the truck home to do much with it other than change the oil. But I set aside all of today to work on it, so that's what I'll be doing today!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks