• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1984 M1009 CUCV - GP Temp Control Switch - Cold start issues

I_Publius

I just wanted to make a note thanking you guys for having this forum and for all of the archives available.

My CUCV had recently started having issues with not starting when cold. There were a couple times I needed to utilize the vehicle, so I did the unthinkable, the act which should never be done with the diesel engine, and I sprayed 1/2 a spray of ether into the air cleaner!

I know...I know. I should never do that, but it was required at the time. ;)

That being said, I started trying to narrow down what the problem was and why the engine would not start. I knew that the engine would start up and the engine would run fine once going. The ether was the only way to start it, so I figured it was a fuel problem of some sort.

After checking my fuel, the GP controller card, the glow plugs, wiring, etc., I remembered a posting I made a while back about a similar problem. The problem at that time was an issue with the GP temperature sensor located on the engine block towards the firewall. I decided to pull the air cleaner off the engine and look at the wiring on that sensor. Sure enough, The wire had been cut somehow and was inhibiting the glow plugs from warming up and starting the engine.

After adding a new connector and crimping the wire, I tried to start up the truck, and sure enough it started right up and has been doing so even in this cold weather we're having. :)

Point of the post being to be sure to search the site for any issues you are having. Someone has likely had similar issues in the past.

Thanks again for all the past help. It has helped with troubleshooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsh4364

Well researched and repaired, I chose to install manual glow plug switch, eliminating that sensor and the glow plug card altogether. Just my preference.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks