• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1984 M1009: Manual Control Lever (directional/signal lever) - Switch inside column

I_Publius

Well, I've been trying to find this all afternoon and can't, so I'm giving up and will phone a friend. ;)

The connector inside the column where the directional lever connects broke off and I can't find the part listed in TM9-2320-289-34P in Figure 127: Steering Wheel and Column.

Can someone point me to the correct part number and the instructions on replacing that part? I'm sure I'm missing something.

thanks in advance.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Instructions on the column are in TM9-2320-289-34.pdf
TM9-2320-289-34 Intermediate support and Direct Support for all variants CUCV.
section 8-2
The directional switch is part #15 in TM9-2320-289-34P in Figure 127:

I_Publius

thanks! That part did not look anything what I was seeing in the column, but then again, I had not been able to break it down all the way, yet. I'll look at the referenced TM for instructions on getting deeper.

Thank you for the help!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That does not look like a quick, fun job. Uggg....

Oh well...another project on the horizon.
The worst part is getting the anti-theft ring out , autozone has the tool for it in their loaner tools , also search youtube there will be video's of how to do it.

I_Publius

Yep! There have been plenty of times when I was ready to get rid of it, but my kids won't let me. For some reason they would rather me drive them in it over our newer vehicles. Crazy kids. ;)

fitz

The tool mentioned above is called the lock plate removal tool. I bought mine at Sears for $20.
As far as replacing the directional switch, its a pain to do. When I had to do mine I searched some old threads here. I knew when Cucvrus said that he finds it easier to just swap in a used steering column, I was probably in over my head. I figured I would try it anyway. After fighting it for a few hours, I headed out back and grabbed a column from a parts truck. It took 2 hours (taking my time) to remove the column from the parts truck and install it in the M1028.
I'm not trying to discourage you from replacing the switch, just keep in mind it may turn unto a big job (as these things always do).
It you tackle the job, let us know how it turns out.
Good luck with it.

86m1028

Its not that hard of a job, steering wheel puller & lock plate tool. You even have a seat to sit in.
If you do swap columns get one with tilt while your at it but plan on going thru it also.

cucvrus

I may be out of line but I have several good columns a few tilt columns and many parts columns. So the pick is yours. I can look if you want one or parts for one. Any parts. And the lock plate is a piece of cake with the right tool. I have a Snap-On one that I use and it makes it easy peasy. the small snap ring is the trick set up when you have it mastered. PM me and let me know if you need any assistance. Forget about changing the wiper switch. It just ain't going to happen on a customers vehicle. The Columns tilt are $100. and the standards are about $75. I can not rebuild one for that price. Good luck keep us posted.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just replaced the switch inside the column with NOS ACDelco. $35
Its not hard with two people. One pushing down on the lock and the other getting the lock ring loose.
Removal Tool would make it a breeze.

Three screws in switch to remove (I think) and disconnect the plug on top of lower column.
Snake out wires and then back in.
Took 45 minutes with a good chunk dealing with the lock plate and ring.

Replaced turn switch, horn contact plate and all related parts with NOS factory parts and even found a NOS GM turn signal lever.
Fixed horn issue with new switch.

Used the NOS switch because read a lot of reviews that stated the new manufacture acdelco switches do not have much of a positive "clunk" when you select either direction of turn.

All works perfect now.

Much easier to me than swapping columns. Unless you want a tilt.

cucvrus

Now I want you to change the windshield wiper switch and tell us about how easy that is. Peace man. It is not as easy as you say it is. How about the wires were you able to pull them back down with a string attached to the old ones that came out?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't use a string at all. Just removed the plastic piece on top of lower column. The one that holds
the wire bundles in place. Then it's a straight shot to the plug. Then reinstall the piece you removed.
If you leave that wire holder in place it would be a total Nightmare.

It was very easy without it and went back in place no sweat.

I did remove the dash bolts and lowered the column. Makes getting to plug and that wire holder sleeve much easier.

Had it all done and ready to drive in less than an hour.

fitz

One curve ball I ran into was my truck (1984 M1028 ) didn't have the set screw for the ignition lock.
Looking around online it seems that GM didn't use the set screw untill mid 1984. Prior to the set screw you have to punch a hole in the column to release the ignition lock. This is where things turned bad for me.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks