• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1984 Model M927 Help Please

Cmich

Hello, I work for a charity and we drill water wells in Africa, this vehicle is in Tanzania. I am not mechanically inclined whatsoever and need some help identifying exactly what this part is called. The mechanic there just called it a gearbox. Anyway, it went out and I need to locate a complete one and get it shipped over along with a water pump. Thanks for your assistance.Inside.jpg

gearbox.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Allison MT654CR Rear clutch housing.

Is this a NHC250 or 8.3L engine?

If you don't know then post a picture of the motor or of that driveshaft just behind the transmission.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Suggest you get a complete transmission with warranty from vendors set up to export such as MTP Drivetrain, Memphis Equipment, Eastern Equipment.

Cmich

Suggest you get a complete transmission with warranty from vendors set up to export such as MTP Drivetrain, Memphis Equipment, Eastern Equipment.
That is probably a great idea. Was thinking about going the cheaper route though.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cheaper would be for your bush mechanic to tell you what parts he needs so he can fix the transmission under a tree! I see the clutch pack is all disassembled. Is that the problem?

Cmich

Cheaper would be for your bush mechanic to tell you what parts he needs so he can fix the transmission under a tree! I see the clutch pack is all disassembled. Is that the problem?
Bush mechanic, lol. He is actually a great kid and can fix most things given the correct parts. The biggest problem is communication and me knowing nothing about mechanicing, I'm just a dumb grunt.
I tried to get part numbers from him but there are none to be found on those clutch pieces. But give him the parts ad he can get it back running again. We've had the truck over there about 7 years and has given us great longevity with very few issues. One of the biggest issues we've had is keeping tires on it. The last set I sent over were used and fairly old. Those didn't last very long. I've looked for some decent Goodyear tires but they are hard to come by.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It would be best to get a certified Allison rebuilt transmission especially with what the shipping and customs/taxes cost to make sure it's right.

This does not mean a military rebuild in a can. Maybe someone here with a core could drop one off to be rebuilt by an Allison shop then it be shipped. Just my opinion, cost more but known to be right.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be best to get a certified Allison rebuilt transmission especially with what the shipping and customs/taxes cost to make sure it's right.

This does not mean a military rebuild in a can. Maybe someone here with a core could drop one off to be rebuilt by an Allison shop then it be shipped. Just my opinion, cost more but known to be right.
These mechanics in these out of the way places can fix broken stuff with a car battery jumper cables and a coathanger welding rod. I would send over the exploded view of the transmission from the parts manual (available on this site) and have him circle what he needs.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, a link would be awesome. Thanks fellow Texan!

You need TM9-2320-272-24P-1 around page 550.

Cmich

You need TM9-2320-272-24P-1 around page 550.
Got it. Perfect. Exactly what we need. Now hopefully we can find the correct parts.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got it. Perfect. Exactly what we need. Now hopefully we can find the correct parts.
Suggestion: Extract the exploded views from the manual and email to your field group. Have them mark every part they need. Take that marked up diagram to your Allison dealer who in Texas is Stewart and Stevenson. Go to the parts counter and tell them “fix me up, these parts keep kids from dying”.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks