• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1985 m1009

williedawg

I have a 1985 M1009 with a partial bracket for a snow plow(no control except lights). I bought it at a Fleet Resale a little over 4 1/2 years ago. Since I bought it, I have put way more money into it, more than I paid for it. I have had to get the floor completely rebuilt, transmission rebuilt, fuel system rebuilt (from just north of sending unit to the injector pump), one side of the brake lines made, new starter, alternators rebuilt, oh and I replaced the heater core and thermostat, to have to turn around and replace the radiator and oil cooler lines. now, it may sound as though I am upset, however, I love this truck. The only problem is, every time I get something fixed, something else breaks. My wife wants me to deep 6 the truck, but I can't. I understand it is 30 years old and I am fixing "old" stuff as I call it.

So, here's my question. I am not as mechanical savvy or automotive savvy as a lot of you are. My right front wheel house rusted through and I moved the front battery onto the battery tray with the back battery and utilized a ratchet strap. No harm, no foul. Over the last couple of days, there is a nasty thump coming from somewhere on the right side. At the mechanic's today, I noticed it was coming from the back right tire area, not the front as I had expected. So, after a thorough inspection, left front upper/lower ball joints are out, right front leaf spring bushing shot, and a suspected issue with my gears in the back.

I need help. Any suggestions are appreciated. Any ideas or locations on parts that are not as expensive as dealership or factories is also appreciated, thank you.

cucvrus

Post pictures. But ball joints, inner wheel aprons, spring bushings and everything else you listed is pretty common place on a vehicle of this vintage and age. All parts you listed are very inexpensive if you are handy with tools it would not be an issue to do all the repairs in a day or 2 over a weekend. Pictures would help to give accurate sound advise. I shop Autozone and other parts stores and have not found many parts that cannot be adapted or used o these CUCV's. They are 99.9% stock off the shelf stock Chevy 4 X 4 trucks so the same parts fit the CUCV's that fit the civilian trucks of the same vintage. Nothing much special.

Rvitko

I just changed my wheel well and they are cheap $40 or so. You do need to remove and weld back in the reinforcement brackets for the battery trays but that wasn't so bad. You can see the spot welds and just drill them out. I am a mediocre welder, been doing it since 9th grade shop but I still basically can do strong or nice looking, both is a lucky day. A basic wire feed welder will do the job. The leaf spring bushings are easy, I used the poly ones on mine, I disassembled and cleaned up my leaf packs while I was it. The plastic between the leafs was shot and i found an identical sheet at restaurant supply as sanitary cutting board covers and just cut it to fit.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't let it overwhelm you

Just make a list and take one thing at
a time

You will never be "done" as there is always something to fix or tinker with.

I was was lucky as mine came with a ton of new parts.

Try and get the best quality parts you can afford.
It will save you headaches later.

I have saved a ton of $$ using rockauto.com
Amazon also has ACdelco parts for good prices.
Saved a lot with them also

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks