• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 d30 6.2 electrical issues please help

mmunro

I recently purchased a 1986 d30 CUCV with 58k miles on it. I'm now having a nightmare of a electrical issue but I don't know much about it, to start my battery will not hold a charge or is not getting a charge, so I bought two batteries only hooked up one of them for now because I'm still not able to get the battery to get a charge. I had both alternators tested by a shop the specializes refurbishing batteries and alternators and they said they were both working. When I bought the batteries after about one day of being able to drive around and start the truck no problems the truck died and wouldn't start for me.The person who owned it before me also switched it from a 24v to a 12v system. So now I have two batteries that should be good and two alternators that should be charging them but i continue to have to jump myself off of the second battery in order to get from A to B. I should mention that I also think that there is power getting into the solenoid on the firewall but not getting out the other terminal, not sure if this could have to do with my problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

We have helped many people fix their vehicles. We will need more info.

Since you have owned the truck has it ever worked? How is the wiring? Does it look like a hack job? What is your skill set? Do you own a multimeter and know how to use it? Know how to read a wiring diagram?

We will need you to post some pictures.

It may take a while but we should be able to fix it.