• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1997 m-1078, two empty plugs behind the heater console?

Duckworthe

I have the 1997 first gen M1078 and have the heater console out to repair some air lines and wiper arm behind it. I noticed that there are two unused plugs behind there labeled P912 and J913. I can't find these in my books as to what they would be for. Maybe the winch control options or the more exciting A/C option?! I will keep looking but maybe someone already knows, You know, been there don't that! Fingers crossed on the possible newer A/C heater console! If you know what specific manual has the true wiring break down educate me.
As always, Thanks brothers and sisters!
Eric

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There is another harness that plugs into them and branches off to the tach and switches. I have one somewhere here if I can find it I will add a pic.

Duckworthe

Where did you wind up plugging in to for your AC?
I haven't found out where to plug the AC in yet. I have the fan power and the heater works but haven't tied in the AC yet. The posts that I have seen all seem to be adding AC to your A1 gen trucks. I guess they have the plugs already in the location. I will just have to work harder I guess.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't found out where to plug the AC in yet. I have the fan power and the heater works but haven't tied in the AC yet. The posts that I have seen all seem to be adding AC to your A1 gen trucks. I guess they have the plugs already in the location. I will just have to work harder I guess.
Overdrive has added AC to a Gen 1 truck so was hoping he could say where he plugged in.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I told him to start a Home Business. Maybe you need to pay $20 to get the insider information. Or fly him to your truck so he can plug it in without telling anyone.

Overdrive

mkcoen,
LOL you just don't cut me any slack! heh, I am trying to make a few bucks with these AC parts just to feed the LMTV habit. I have a full time job so I can't dedicate a ton of time to a side business. I don't want to be one of "those" guys that doesn't share information or ideas so that is a big strike against me on selling stuff or inside info on how to for our trucks. I do some armature fabrication and have about a dozen ideas flopping around in my head for LMTV mods but some of it I don't have the right fab tools.

OK how about some basic info on the AC electrical. I guess it would be a good idea to start a new thread on these details when I get pics....

1. Gen1 and Gen2 AC units have different wiring and how they operate.

2. Gen1 units use similar cables to operate the vent, defrost, heat functions just like the stock heaters except they have rotary knobs instead of the pull knobs for the cables. So Gen1 uses just the stock heater 24v power cable.

3. Gen2 units also use the stock heater power for fan and lights. The fan is 24v and the dash lights are 12v. The factory plug provides both 12 and 24v.

4. Gen2 requires an additional 24v power source to operate the various controls, vent, defrost, etc. They use electrical actuators and WILL NOT FUNCTION if you just have the stock power plugged in. You will only have fan and dash light control. The power plugs are standard SURE SEAL 2 contact connectors and are the same male end plugs that match the female end plugs to the aux 24v power wires under the power distro panel. You will need to either cut the ends off the connectors for the additional power or find those SURE SEAL ones to make an extension wire that goes from the power panel to the 2nd power plug on the Gen2. I am in the process of wiring this item up.

5. The additional power wire needed for Gen2 also sends power to the condenser fans and compressor.

6. Gen1 and Gen2 have the same wire harnesses for all the other components. They are condenser fans, compressor, high pressure switch, and radiator fan cut out signal. This last one is so that when you are fording and flip off the cooling fan using the main dash switch it disables the condenser fans as well.

7. The stock condenser that has the wire harness on it connects to ALL the appropriate connectors on both the Gen1 and Gen2 units (electrical).

... I will add pics of each connector this weekend... And probably post this in its own thread.

Live long and prosper

OD