• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1st MV bid M923A2..

buck30500

This will be my 1st attempt to get a M923a2. It is a GL auction. I would like to drive or tow the truck to a local shop and get it road worthy for the drive to Vero Beach, Florida. Does anyone have advise on if this is a good idea or if there is a better way. Any advice is welcome. Thanks, buck30500

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have any big truck experience? Mechanical ability? Deep pockets or high limit credit cards?

you need to tell us more about yourself before we can help you make the call.

Tornadogt

Read the Rules about not posting about up coming Auctions... I believe so far so good just no details and be careful about what you post...

Good luck, hope you are able to join the 5-Ton crowd..

buck30500

I drove 2 1/2 tons, 5 tons, 10 tons, and tractors in the Marine Corps as aviation ordnance. In the civilian world I have driven 5 ton flat beds and tractors but I don't have a current CDL. Here at home, I have access to a full shop for working on trucks and heavy equipment....my mechanical ability is at the novice level but I am learning from friends who are big truck mechanics. Deep pockets....no, I would like to keep everything under $8000...The more I research and read on the site...it looks like I may want to start with a 2 1/2 ton...all advice is welcome....thanks buck30500

Tornadogt

939 series truck are great, lots of advantages, I'm sure some fellow Florida members can help you with registration and license requirement.. I believe your budget is do able.... don't get caught up in an auction frenzy stick to a price you set for yourself and remember they are not running out anytime soon... also we have a classified section here and there are some good deals on the East Coast...

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should have no problem keeping the price at 8k. Have you looked at buying one in your state from a SS member or eBay? Plenty out there.....I'm lucky, I have 3 DRMO's within 45mins of my house. I personally wouldn't think of buying it in SoCal or out of state....to much hassle....I always figure I can just wait for the right deal to come along.

buck30500

I have been watching the auctions and there are a lot of 939 series going for between 2000 and 3000 dollars, But there have been no MV's in florida. The state to the north of me (not mentioning auctions) has had large amounts 939's available. I would like to get one there and have a professional mechanic go over it because I would be driving back to florida by myself and it would be a pretty cool road trip all the way home. I spent 4 years in the 6x6 in the USMC so I know about the noise and seats. I just don't have the mechanical skill level to trouble shoot one of these trucks while on the road...

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been watching the auctions and there are a lot of 939 series going for between 2000 and 3000 dollars, But there have been no MV's in florida. The state to the north of me (not mentioning auctions) has had large amounts 939's available. I would like to get one there and have a professional mechanic go over it because I would be driving back to florida by myself and it would be a pretty cool road trip all the way home. I spent 4 years in the 6x6 in the USMC so I know about the noise and seats. I just don't have the mechanical skill level to trouble shoot one of these trucks while on the road...
Patience grasshopper. 5 tons will come up in FL.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That assumes when you get it that it runs...most of the ones I go get will jump' but most if not all are towed in.
its a crap shoot...espeacially if you cannot preview the truck...so if u buy one that says it runs' don't mean it airs up...no air...no go. If...I was in your shoes, I would find a good running truck is your area and make an offer...cash talks.
let the other guy deal with the logistics of having gone and picked it up....not sure of the state laws In your state or the stats you would be going through either....you need cdl to drive that truck....plus gas, tools etc....you have no ideA what may break on your ride home. I know this from having picked up trucks for yeaaars.....u need to know how to work on sh*t....your better off having that mechanic with u for the ride home....if it breaks and has to be towed....better have a decent credit line on that card.....it cost me 450.00 to get a truck that size towed 40miles.
not trying to scare you.....it's just a fact of collecting these trucks....

buck30500

Thanks...

I wanted to thank everyone for all of the advice...I forgot to mention that I am a newbie....And I am determined to be a part of the Steel Soldiers..Thanks again, Buck30500

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks