• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1st week with a deuce...

rdixiemiller

It's been a hoot! I've driven back and forth to work 3 times, taken the 11 yr old daughter to school once. I get a lot of waves. No real issues at all. the front boots are on order, then it's time to get new canvas for the pax seat. Windshield gaskets are next.
Title transfer was $18, antique/hobby tag $20. Insurance with Allstate $96 every 6 months.

Original seat belts are nice. Motor cranks easily, real slow to warm up. Tranny shifts smoothly. Oil pressure gauge quit, stays pegged out. Spring seat is easy on the butt. Radial tires are really smooth on the highway, as a matter of fact, the truck drives like one of the old dumpers I used to run. Maybe a little stiffer sprung. Easy to steer, I'll never need PS. Brakes are typical for a truck this size and weight, nothing surprising there. Definately going to get a muffler, I like the sound up to about 1800 rpm. After that, it gets uncomfortable, and the turbo hits a really shrill note that sets my teeth on edge.

My daughter has informed me that I need to get her a "Bouncy" seat like mine. Anyone have a spare spring seat assy. they want to part with? Also, who has the little cable hold downs for heater and defroster cables? Mine are missing where they attach to the plenums.

I definately found a nice example of the old deuce, and I am having a blast with it. I work with several old vets, and they have taken turns driving around the plant. One old USMC sargeant is digging out some pics from 1970 when he was a young recruit. He wants me to see how they polished them up for inspection (a few drops of diesel fuel on a rag) with the old semi gloss OD.

I think this is a much better Mid Life Crisis vehicle than a Corvette. Much cheaper (and safer) than a girlfriend.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm happy for you Robert! As far as warming up slowly, that's normal for a diesel. Get a piece of plywood and cover about 75% of the radiator. For short trips just leave it in.

Desert Rat

Robert,
Yep, a Deuce is much easier on a marrage too. Wait, a marrage is much easier on the Deuce. Glad to see you're enjoying the addiction. Meetings are the first Thursday of the month. I use a piece of an old shelter half on mine to help warm-up. Buttons on easy and comes off easy.

martin

Hi,
I am new to the forum.I have had military trucks over the last 18 years starting with a DUKW.
We had a M35A2 converted to a M109. It too was noisy so we chpped the exhaust off at the top where it was vertical and then fitted a flap. This made a real difference and enabled me to drive without discomfort or ear defenders.
I am thinking about getting another cargo but fitting a coms shelter on it.
Regards,
Martin

m.walker

Congrats man , the nice thing is the wife will want to drive a vette around but not at all interested in driving an old army truck ( definite bonus ) sounds like your already having fun !

Opie

Hey Martin!
Welcome to the shop van club! Do you have functioning brackets for storing the boarding ladder outside the van, or did yours get squashed also? How about a van body heater?

Let us know where you are in your default signature, and post some pics when you can, because, of course, nopics

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks