• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2.5 tons on other vehicles - brakes?

DavidWymore

Why doesn't anyone run the deuce drums? Just the weight of the drums or what? They're air over hyd so I don't see why a guy couldn't make them work.

Thinking about turning my Cummins Dodge street/trail truck into more of a trail/street truck. I can get 46" michelins cheap, just needa a set of rockwells but I wanna drive it on the street and don't have $$$$ for 8 lug disc brake conversion.

Thanks

DUECE-COUPE

Use the drums until you have money for an up grade. They work by air over hydrolic because the 465 ldt doesn't have a vacuhm port to prove boost for the power brakes. Other than that, they will work with a upgraded brake master cylinder.

jrou111

The reason why most don't run drums is because rims under 20" won't fit.

Since the stock rims are too skinny and wider ones like HEMMT are too heavy, most people go with 16.5" beadlocks. So they have to lose the drums for them to fit.

1stDeuce

I'll add that if your run in mud a lot, the drums require a LOT of maintenance... Mud eats the shoes right off in no time. Or that was my experience from wheeling in college...

I suppose also, one pinion brake vs. two drums is a lot less troublesome. And since the deuce hub seals require a bit of maintenance, I gotta say having just done the hub flip thing, seal service would be a lot easier without those drums attached to the hubs!!

No reason they won't work in the meantime though!!
C

Ridgerunner

A front Rockwell axle with the hubs "fliped in", is the same width as a standard 4X4 pick-up truck. And you can't flip the front hubs "in" and still retain the stock drum brakes like you can on the rear axle.

Also, I run 15" wheels on mine, and they wouldn't fit with the big heavy drum there otherwise.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run Rocks on the truck in my avatar and the main reason for not running them is the weight. The drum is 40 lbs and the backing plate with the shoes is 40 lbs, that's 160 lbs per axle! And yes they fill up with mud and that mud NEVER comes back out. If you are trying yo keep street legal it may be a godd idea to keep them but on a mud truck/trail truck a pinion brake setup is the best way to go.

I sell a bunch of Rockwells and I strip the brakes off before I even sell them, nobody wants them and it makes for a nice scrap pile for me :-D

KsM715

Just a note, you dont want to run pinion brakes on the street. If you happen to break an axle shaft while out playing in the rocks you wont have brakes on that axle when you drive it home.

Edit: unless your running a locker in that same axle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks