• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 meter radios MV

digitaldust

is there a good 2 meter Military radio for moble and HT . I would like to deck out the M109 as a radio van. having a ham tick I'd like to use military gear.

anyone know if the prc -127 does PL and off sets ? eg. 147.260 + tx on 147.860
and the PL's like 100 , 88.5 etc .

also what would the antenna of choice for the 144 Mhz and up be

Thanks
KC 8 D UP ,GS - e83

Flyingvan911

Most of the major brands, Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood, etc have great mobile and handheld radios. I like my Yaesu FT-50RD for a handheld but I think they discontinued/upgraded that model. I have an Icom 706 MKII-G for a mobile. It really depends on what features you want. Talk to a local ham shop or call Amateur Electronic Supply or somewhere like that. How noisy will it be in the back? That will make a big difference. Especially with the microphone and speakers/headphones.

73's, KC0ERE

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with trying to use a military radio in the 2-meter band is that most of the common military radios aren't anywhere near those frequencies. Military bands are either in the HF band (2-30 MHz) or in the lower VHF band (30-80 MHz or so). There aren't common rigs on upper VHF freqs until you get near aircraft frequencies from 225-400 MHz.

My opinion is to install a common commercial 2-meter radio if you have to be on 2 meters. If you NEED a military radio instead, consider the standard RT-524 vehicular rig, or the PRC-77/AM-2060 combo, both of which will give you capability in the 6-meter range, and if you have a Technician Class license, 6 meters in open for business for you.

The hard part isn't picking and installing a radio. The hard part is hearing what the heck someone else on the radio is saying when you are driving down the road.

m38inmaine

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 127 works great for a 2m rig, have used them many times, they do the pl and you can choose a seperate tx/rx frequency. The downside is low power and they don't scan. The antenna on it is wideband so no need to change it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks