• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

200 amp generator vs. 100 amp

2w091

Our 1025A2 has a 100 amp Niehoff generator, NSN 2920-01-407-0532
Is there a problem with replacing it with a Niehoff 200amp NSN 2920-01-420-9968

Please excuse my ignorance of all things electric, I know many things, but dealing with electronics ain't one of my strong suits.............:D

I'm learning this as I go.

Last edited:

hummer4x4guy

Well we found out earlier on a post of mine that a 60 and 100 amp will fit on the aluminum or steel bracket but one uses 2 short bolts and one uses a single long bolt. Not sure on 200 and up tho.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
200 amp uses a different bracket, and is wired direct to the battery pos stud in the battery box.
i have the install kits NOS and everything is included...instructions, pulled, belts etc.

jpg

Our 1025A2 has a 100 amp Niehoff generator, NSN 2920-01-407-0532
Is there a problem with replacing it with a Niehoff 200amp NSN 2920-01-420-9968
Others have mentioned the important issues of mounting, pulleys, etc. Electrically speaking, a higher-amp alternator will not cause problems.

The voltage regulator controls alternator output. Up to the capacity of the alternator, it outputs enough amps to keep the voltage at proper levels. You want enough amps to run all your lights etc, plus to charge the battery. An over-sized alternator may never output more than a small fraction of its capacity. This excess capacity means unnecessary weight and cost, but it will not cause electrical problems.

2w091

I was able to get the part through the supply chain for the cost of shipping. The only generator available was 200amp, it is CC-A and hopefully new in the box. We do run two light bars, a fixed radio, several small mounted LED lights, a white LED spot light bar and the emergency equipment switch/siren box. We also installed a cut off switch for all the 12 volt equipment when it's not in use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks