• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

200AMP Charging System Issues - NOT DUEL - NOT HUMVEE SYSTEM!

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trying to get the 200amp system on one of my vehicles to charge as it basically never charged since I have had the vehicle. It had the following 200 amp generator on it (non-NSN stamped on it - Picture 1) and a 2920-01-300-3737 200 amp regulator on it by prestolite. The regulator was completely fried inside (looks like water got in it and mostly likely took out the generator as well). I put a NOS 3737 regulator in and it burned out a few things (but not sure if it did it when I fired up the vehicle or if it was like that before b/c I didn't open it prior as I thought it was NOS). I went through the trouble shooting manual and checked all the wires, confirmed voltage was present where and when it needed to be present etc, everything checked out. Put in a new regulator, it got fried (didn't open it up before so not sure if the gen fried it or it was already like that. Pulled the old generator, put in a NOS 2920-01-298-5738 200 amp by prestolite and what I think is a good working regulator made in 1987 that I pulled from another vehicle. Charged the batteries, adjusted the regulator to the lowest setting and fired up the vehicle. The voltage tested at the slave cable was 25.2 volts... Let the engine run for about 10 minutes, accelerated to 1000 rpm and adjusted the regulator all the way up and down with no change in voltage. FML.

In the manual, there are trouble shooting instructions for the charging system for the 100amp and the 200amp system. When doing a test of the regulator, it says if (200amp, reattach ground cable) then instructs to test the resistance between a post and socket on the regulator which should be 0 ohms and another post and socket which should be infinte ohms. Which would be incorrect for the 200 amp regulator since both sides are connected via a buss bar and and both go to the the same bus bar.

Is there an insturction manual to test various parts of a 200amp regulator, I think I might be able to use the printed board on the burned up unit as it does not have any melted wires, just needs a good clean potentially. Also, does anyone have a good 200 amp regulator I could purchase?

Thanks
Jason

Pictures in follow replies.

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The older generator and regulator that was on the vehicle.

Attachments

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "NOS" one that popped. Thinking about swapping out board of fried one (if I can find a way to test it first) or swapping out the burned componets with the ones from the fried one as they still seem to be good (need to test)

Attachments