• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2012 Toys For Tots Event Thread

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greetings, SteelSoldiers!

As Christmastime rolls around, the USMC is again sending Marines "into the field" to collect and distribute TOYS to kids who might not otherwise have anything for Christmas.

I've created this thread as a centralized posting forum for this year's efforts, announcements and AAR's.

Here in San Angelo, Texas, I have accepted a coordinating committee position as a citizen supporter of the Toys For Tots. Our first 24-Hour toy (and cash donation) drive will be this weekend beginning at 1700hrs on Friday 11/2/2012, positioning Marines, support RVs, attention-drawing MVs and FREE barbeque Brisket and Sausage to anyone donating toys on the parking lot of the local H-E-B Grocery Store (They're a GREAT supporter of T-F-T).

There have already been some local business one-day collection drives, but this will be the first to deploy MV's. I WILL post pics as an After Action Report.

Y'all speak up and let us know what's happening in your AO for Toy's For Tots!!!

Attachments

gungearz

There is a toys for tots rally rolling thru Chicago from 83rd to Foster on Dec. 2nd. One of my buddies is a coordinator for toys for tots. I am in the process to see if they will let the steel soldiers run in it this year. The marines were cutting back this year in Chicago and might not make it.... So that's where we'll come in at. There will be over 10,000 bikes in spurts of 200 or so. MV's, emergency response, police, and teamster members along in this. I'm hoping they'll let us run this year.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool deal gungearz!

I failed to mention....
Our local USMC Unit is a student detachment here at Goodfellow AFB. They are a mix of INTELL and FIREFIGHTING Students with a very small permanent party Instructor "Command" - it's mostly joint service training staff at GAFB. The SSgt who is heading it up this year, and who asked me to be on the Committee, is a member in our church and an awesome individual.

wsucougarx

Thank you for this post!!!
I have been wanting to use my M923 for a static display for a T4T collection site. Every year it's the same, by the time I remember it's already too late. I just contacted the main coordinator to try and get something going for Grays Harbor County. They have not had a collection site here for years. Hopefully things will work out to where we can. We have a USMC recruiter down in Aberdeen, but no USMC detachments locally. We definately need a program like this down there.

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We lost our Marines in July. The Navy and Fleet Reserve along with a civilian coordinator are running it for the state of Wyoming. We already had our kickoff two weeks ago.

wsucougarx

Having never been involved with this program, does the Navy man any of the collection sites or is it strictly USMC? If so, what's the uniform of the day? Khaki's?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having never been involved with this program, does the Navy man any of the collection sites or is it strictly USMC? If so, what's the uniform of the day? Khaki's?
Our unmanned drop boxes get picked up in civilian clothes. The events depend on location (and the coordinator). Our parade is in dress blues, the stuff a truck is NWU's and passing out the toys in December is civilian clothes with Navy t-shirt. As I mentioned earlier we just lost our Marine Detachment, so no Marines here except a recruiter stopping by every now and then.

SteveKuhn

MTA Toys for Tots

MTA started earlier this month at a football tournament in Butler NJ and that was followed shortly after by another. The TfT Train will make 3 runs in NJ and NY this year, up from 2 last year.

Some snapshots from Butler . . . John (sixth from the left) works year 'round on all the activities including putting together (now) 3 trains.

Steve

Attachments

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SitRep November 2012 ToysForTots 24-Hour Command Post - San Angelo, TX

Well, I finally got the 96 photos uploaded to PHOTOBUCKET. (Unfortunately they are in REVERSE order - DOH! :doh:) but y'all can fiew them anyway......

There was plenty of good Brisket & Sausage to keep the Marines in chow al night. Great fun and fellowship with many, many good folks.

2012 11 ToysFor Tots San Angelo TX pictures by jebariou - Photobucket

Semper Fi !

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Veterans Day Parade - Toys For Tots - San Angelo, TX

Well, due to "circumstances beyond our control" - specifically staff turn-over and lack of training this year amongst the Veterans Day Parade organizers - there were no Military Vehicles represented, the parade actually started about 1/2 hour late, and several other SNAFU's.

That being said, it turned out to be a GREAT experience and celebration saluting those who have served and are serving.

I participated as a civilian committee member with the local US Marines Toys For Tots entry and we had a grand time. We used a BRAND NEW (only 13 miles on the odometer when we picke it up) GMC "BLACK OPS" 4WD Hi-Lift pickup as the tow vehicle for the 1929 Fire Truck carrying Santa and Mrs. Claus along with the TFT Marines. Major March, the Marine Unit Commander at Goodfellow AFB drove the pick up, with his wife riding shotgun. I was in the bed of the pick up giving "steering instructions" to the firetruck "driver" since its antique steering design DOES NOT STEER AT ALL when tracking behind the tow vehicle and, with its HEAVY IRON ENGINE still installed, will command the direction of the pick up's back end in-a-heartbeat. (Like trying to tow a 5-Ton with a M151 Mutt!!!) As long as we were going "straight and true" I was free to take pictures. (Max towing speed - even going to and from the parade location - was ONLY 20-25 mph.)

OK, all that being said.....

Here are some PhotoBucket pics for your enjoyment.....

http://s675.beta.photobucket.com/us... Angelo TX/20121110 Veterans Day Parade - TFT

Carry on!

:D

Attachments

Last edited:

art

2012USMC Toys for Tots Train

Come out for the TFT train in NJ this Saturday, Dec 8[SUP]t i[/SUP]We will Convoy & follow the train and set up a display.
Contact me if you want to come or with any questions.
Let me know what stops you can go to and if you can bring aVehicle. Thanks!

2012USMC Toys for Tots Train
Train Schedules

www.toysfortotsnj.com

Saturday, Dec 8 ~ NY, Susquehanna & Western

Rochelle Park

Rochelle Park Station
3 Railroad Ave.

9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.

Hawthorne

VRA Railway Station
80 Royal Ave.

10:20 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.

Wortendyke

275 Newtown Road

11:10 a.m. - 11:40 p.m.

Wyckoff

399 Main Street

11:45 p.m. - 12:45 p.m.

Oakland

Edison Ave.

1:10 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.

Pompton Lakes

1 Station Plaza

1:45 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.

Butler

Butler Museum
Upper Main St

3:00 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.

Last edited:

art

Here is the whole Train
Shedule for all 3 days
2012 USMC Toys for Tots Train
Train Schedules

www.toysfortotsnj.com
Saturday, Dec 8 ~ NY, Susquehanna & Western
Rochelle Park
Rochelle Park Station
3 Railroad Ave.

9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
Hawthorne
VRA Railway Station
80 Royal Ave.

10:20 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
Wortendyke
275 Newtown Road
11:10 a.m. - 11:40 p.m.
Wycoff
399 Main Street
11:45 p.m. - 12:45 p.m.
Oakland
Edison Ave.
1:10 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Pompton Lakes
1 Station Plaza
1:45 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
Butler
Butler Museum
Upper Main St

3:00 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.
Sunday, Dec 9 ~ Middletown & New Jersey Railroad
Warwick, NJ to
Walden, NY

Click here for
more information

Saturday, Dec 15 ~ Morristown & Erie Tracks
Flanders
Flanders Firehouse
27 Main St

10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
Ledgewood
Sleepy's
294 Route 10 West

11:30 a.m. - 12:10 p.m.
Kenvil
Morris Marine
745 Route 46 West

12:15 p.m. - 12:45 p.m.
Dover
Sack's Paint & Wallpaper
52 N. Sussex St.
1:30 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Dover
Lakeland Bus Depot
425 E. Blackwell St.
2:05 p.m. Pickup only
Rockaway
Potbelly's Cafe
26 E. Main St.
2:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the RailSchedule, ART. [thumbzup]

Locally here in San Angelo, TX we will again be staging a 24-hour Toy Donation Drive beginning at 1700 hrs today (Friday 2012-12-07).

Following that event, our Deuce - THE ARK - will roll in the Christmas Lights Parade Satruday evening wearing the Toys-For-Tots banners.

I'll post pics and an AAR asap.

"That is all."
Carry on.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited: