• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2221 miles later! (Aberdeen)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well gang, we're back home safe and sound. Jonathan (3 yr old son) and myself made the trek without too many problems. We left the West Palm Beach area around 10AM on Tuesday the 10th headed for Doswell VA to meet up with the yellow serial of the East Coast Convoy. We made several stops along the way for food fuel and just time to smell the roses. We made it just inside SC and bunked for the night. We did 420 miles this date. Got up on Wednesday and was on the road by 715AM. Made the usual stops along the way except a stop at Berg tire in Fayetteville NC to pick up 8 tires for the deuce. Nice folks to deal with there. They always have tires on ebay. From there the ride was uneventfull. We arrived at Doswell around 715PM. 500 mile this date. We went straight to the truckstop to get fuel and met up with Southern Serial Commander, Cabell Garbee. he was filling up his 4BT powered M37. Also met up with Brandon Cobb and his M816 wrecker. Brandon was towing his M35A2C and M105 which apparently ran out of fuel some miles back. Nice to have a wrecker along for the trip. We got fueled up and went over to the Best Western and met up with Bjorn (Cranetruck) and his son Adrian. Got checked in and ate then went outside to BS while Brandon got his M35 bled out and running. Thursday started the final day of the convoy. After breakfast we went outside to tripcheck the trucks and get ready. While in the lot Blake Sheppard arrived in his marine corp M35A2 complete with the M151A2 in the back and an M105 in tow. We got underway shortly after 8AM. We had about a 110 mile ride through the countryside of VA to meet up with the next group of vehicles in Millersburg. Some really nice views along the route. If you've never convoyed with a bunch of other deuces, you've missed the boat. The line of green trucks in the mirror is a sight. We got to Millersburg without any problems and met up with Dave (n3uka) and his M35A2. Shortly thereafter a bunch more deuces, a few jeeps and another M37 arrived. We organized the march with smaller vehicles in front and got under way to the Golden Corral to meet up with the other serials. We went through a tunnel along the route and it was most entertaining for Jonathan with all the noise. We were the first serial to arrive at the Golden Corral so we got parked and grabbed a bite. Once everyonne was there we got lined up and set off for the short trip to the site. You talk abuot a sight, this was it. We arrived pretty much as a unit and drove right through the event. All weekend I overheard folks talking about the entry of the convoy. We got our spots and setteld in for the weekend. Had a blast meeting up with all the faceless names from over the years. It was a great time. Also had a chance to marvel again at the Cranetruck. Bjorn did several lifting chores throughout the weekend including lifting 2 HMMWV engines off the nose of my trailer and putting them in the back of Bruce Kubu's M105 trailer. N3UKA has some really good pics of this in his photo album that he posted. Bjorn did this without ever moving his truck which was totally cool. He also lifted up my shelter so that I could put my new wood for the deck of the pipeline truck on the trailer. While there a coolant leak appeared on the tractor. It was a small coolant hose on the top. A trip to NAPA got us some hose and an easy fix was completed. Our plans were to stay untill Sunday morning but I got a call from my sister in VA Beach and decided to get underway Saturday night. We left just after 8PM after loading the shelter and stacking 8 9.00x20 tires right behind the shelter (blocking the doorway). It started raining right after we got on the highway. Glad I put on the NAPA wipers before I left. about an hour down the road I felt a rush of wet air and look up to find that my top had come unstitched along the windshiled and I now had a huge airscoop (waterscoop). Jonathan was sleeping and I had to figure something out. I stuck my and up on the top and held it down the best I could until we found a truckstop. The quick fix was a bunch of small sheetmetal screws and washers. I screwed the top back into the plastic piece and we were off, so I thought. Now I'm driving a deuce tractor, towing a M103A3 genset trailer with a shelter on it. Both front drive flanges are blanks and one rear axle was removed so I have one driving wheel. The driveway up and out of the truckstop was wet and a bus stopped in front of me. That was it, I was stuck. Had to wait for all the trucks around me to leave so that I could back down the hill. Backing these trailers is no fun but I did it. Got a running start and made it up and over. Back on the highway for another hour and got stuck in a traffic jam after some knucklehead forgot how to drive and had a crash with the wall. Blocked 3 lanes. At his point Jonathan is getting frustrated and I've had enough so I stop for a room. After countless motels at 3 exits I learn that there are no rooms. Seems that NASCAR is racing under the lights at Richmond. We made it to the 104 mile marker in VA and stopped at the Flying J. I threw all the tires off the back and Jonathan and I crawled in the shelter for the night. By far the worst night of the trip. Got up early the next day and made in to my sisters house without diffuculty. Spent a few days there then took off for home on Tueday morning. My only planned stop was in Halifax NC to visit John Winslow. John is a dealer that has all his stuff on his farm. He had at least 20 acres of stuff and a bunch of trucks. John has stuff, knows what its worth but is fair. He had a beautiful M342A2 w/w that he just painted in CARC. Had a good time but the camera was packed in the shelter far from reach. Darnit! John had bought some cab tops for his own vehicles and was generous enough to sell me one. He had to wait 4 months for the covers from GMA. BTW, when it's time for my tractor to finally get painted, I'm sending it to John. We left NC and drove until 10PM and stopped at the south end of SC. Drove all day Wed and was home by 4PM.
I've had VIC-1 intercoms before and sold them. Wished I had one for this trip. Jonathan and I were unable to communicate. It was an experience for sure. I would do it again if I could. Another 2221 miles in a deuce this time with a 3 yr old went very well. On a side note, after arriving home and sitting for a spell I needed to go to the store. Jonathan about cryed when he found out I was not driving the tractor. Tough kid. I'll post the pics I have when I find my camera.

Kenny

Desert Rat

Kenny,
Wow, now that's what I call a journal! Thanks for the enrty. I'm looking forward to the pics!

Dieselsmoke

Now that sounds like a damn fun trip with all them vehicles! Sounds like nobody had any trouble 'cept for running out of fuel. Are my eyes getting bad or was that just a LOT to read :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a few pics I got along the way including one in the mirror of a very cool USMC M35A2.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great story, Kenny, I'm sure Jonathan will remember the adventures for a very long time.
Good to see you and J again at Aberdeen and glad to be able to help out.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always a pleasure Bjorn. We both got a kick out of comvoying behind the Hiab Fry-O-Matic.
Question! After filtering and letting the junk settle, how much clear cooking oil do you yeild out of say 5 gallons? I'm about to start collecting here.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The amount of clear oil may depend on where you get your oil. The deli, where I now get my oil is of better quality and yields about 4 plus gallons of clear out of 5 gallons.
The yucky stuff can be processed into biodiesel if heated to about 120 F or so.
Too bad you don't live closer, I collect about 30 gallons/week from this deli alone. Storage is not a big problem since they give me the empty containers too. Those are the cardboard enclosed plastic jugs that the oil comes in from the supplier. They each hold about 5 gallons (35 lb).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks