• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24v Electrical Questions

So-CalM997

I recently purchased a M997 HMMWV and i need some help with the electrical.
What is 24v and what is 12v? Also does anyone have suggestions for a aux generator?

BLK HMMWV

Welcome to the world of the HMMWV (High Maintenance Money Wasting Vehicals)

Good to see another one of us in So-Cal

Fist thing I would do is get the TM's for your vehical.
You can find the hard bound ones or down load or buy them on CD's.

Almost everything on it is going to be 24 volts.
What year is it?
They do make a 24-12volt alternator for them.

Is your M997 already registered in Calif.?

BH

papaydsailor

to have it registered in southern Ca. you have to find a private DMV. tell them its a military surplus diesel truck (no smog check certification required)bought from out of state, give them all the docs that you got when you bought it. and pay their service fee and the registration fee. they have their own certified DMV vehicle inspector also if it need to be inspected. ask him directly how much you have to pay him to have it registered to drive it in the street legaly.

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trucks an 1989.

Working on the registration right now. Any suggestions on how to get them registered? Any common problems?
Thanks
Guys
PM me, I have a great place to do it. They will give you a temp so you can drive it to them for the VIN verification. They have done my stuff as well as 5 or 6 others. They are in Arcadia.

papaydsailor

X2 on the place Brother Will speaks of, great place to deal with! If you get everything squared away with your rig by mid April, you might want to consider joining us for our spring camp out in the desert the weekend of 4/24 http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upcoming-events/46245-so-cal-camp-dirtbag-spring-run.html
i want to join this one! give me all the info and about the place so i can start putting in my leave from work and modify my humvee for this trip. can i bring my son. how far?

BLK HMMWV

Spring run

Papaydsailor

Another HMMWV great I'm out numbered by dueces at these events.
Barstow area.
Stoddard Wells / Bell Mountain exit.

Yes of course your son is welcome.

Modify HMMWV !!!!!! ????? Sounds interesting.

Lets continue the Spring run trip talk on that thread and get this one back on track about his electrical questions.

BH

papaydsailor

The trucks an 1989.

Working on the registration right now. Any suggestions on how to get them registered? Any common problems?
Thanks
Guys
the only problem i had is the electrical loose wiring, shorted wire and engine noise. i change mine to 12v. those militry light bulbs and electronic gadget are hard to find and expensive. im just like you a newbie on humvee. i get most of my info and advice from the good people from this website. i find the humvee is the most easiest to work on than my civi cherokee because of all the big space to work on everything. all my tools are just basic hand tools and drill gun. ive use a lot of drill bit though. do you want to trade your M997 with my 2009 grand cherokee?

Last edited:

papakb

The 997s have their own special circuitry for mask heaters, rear heater, and the AC unit but the balance of the vehicle is standard 24 volt stuff and isn't hard to find with the number of units in the military. It's nice to have a dual voltage alternator in the truck because it opens up the world of 12 volt electricals to you more easily that the rest of us who need voltage dropping regulators.

This is a great site for support information, feel free to PM if you have specific questions. I've been running an M996 for about 8 years now and do radios so electricals aren't a mystery to me.

Kurt Lesser
KG6KMJ

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks