• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24vdc vs 12vdc condenser

dougimes

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the condenser you would use on an m series 24vdc system and a 12 vdc system?

Can I use an autopart store condenser (12volt) in my 24volt jeep?

if this is a dumb question, just shoot me.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A capacitor needs to be rated for higher voltage than it is used for.

After a little searching, it looks like you'll be OK. It looks like they are all overrated by alot!

Last edited:

Bill W

Delco A202 or NAPA AL869 is listed in my army vehicle parts book for MB's to M-37s. I've used the AL869 in my 6v WC-21 and in my 24v M-37 so I would say your safe to use a 12v cond in a 24v system

Last edited:

ODdave

I belive there rated in farads (what ever the heII that is). And have very wid voltage ranges. Isnt the one in question good for something like 500v?

Keith_J

The system voltage is much lower than the voltage created when the points break, causing a collapse in the magnetic field in the coil. This back electromotive force can be several hundred times the system voltage. This would cause arcing over the points, the condenser "absorbs" this energy, preventing arcing over the points as they open.

Yes, the unit of measure of capacitance is the farad. It is a rather large unit so most condensers are rated in microfarads, or millionths of a farad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks