• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

250 Cummins Manual

papercu

TM

There is a parts manual for the M939 NHC-250 engine but it doesn't have a TM number but it is the SS TM section. Wayne

CGarbee

RE: TM

Depends on what you are looking for in a NHC250 manual...
The Org Maint Manual for M809 series trucks has a detailed section on the dissasembly and rebuild of the engine in to component parts, also a section on the teardown, reasembly, and calibration of the injectors and PT pump.

I don't have the TM numbers memorized but will post them tonight when I get back from Bragg and can look at them...

If what you need isn't in the M809 manuals, you likely can find it at your local Cummins distributor. They have a world of manuals for these things since the basic NH engine was in producion for something like fifty years...

Gamagoat1

Thank a lot for the help guys, I want to learn all I can about this beast before I screw something up. To big to tow and expensive to fix.

CGarbee

Gamagoat1 said:
Thank a lot for the help guys, I want to learn all I can about this beast before I screw something up. To big to tow and expensive to fix.

Point very well made.... If you don't have the manual set for the M809 series trucks, I stongly suggest that you pick up a set. I found that CHQ Software (don't have the URL handly, Google them...) has a CD with a complete set on it in PDF form with a nice disc index for under $25. Get it, study the operator's and maintenance manuals and you'll be pretty well off. The other manuals (parts, special purpose tools, lube order) are also worth studying on your way to bed... :)

I found that the lube order was 36 pages long, and that the Org Maint volume (it is a two part manual) that has the engine info in it is 1300 or so pages long...

Enjoy

Gamagoat1

Is that the same manual set that's here on SS?
I've downloaded those but none are identified as Org. Maint.
Maybe I'm just blind, old age, ya know?

CGarbee

The one I am looking at with the engine tear down and rebuild data (including that for the PT pump and the injectors is the 1994 version of ARMY TM 9-2320-260-34-1 TECHNICAL MANUAL VOLUME 1 OF 2, DIRECT SUPPORT AND GENERAL SUPPORT MAINTENANCE FOR 5-TON, 6X6, M809 SERIES TRUCKS (DIESEL)

Volume 2 is quite handy as well as it has the cab, frame, and special purpose body tear down and rebuild info...

The list of the ones that I have (on the CD from CHQ) is:
LO9-2320-260-12 LUBRICATION ORDER, M809,M809A1,M810,M811,M811A1,M815,M816, M817
TM9-2320-260-10 OPERATORS MANUAL
TM9-2320-260-20 UNIT MAINTENANCE
TM9-2320-260-20P UNIT MAINTENANCE, REPAIR PARTS, SPECIAL TOOLS LIST
TM9-2320-260-34-1 DIRECT SUPPORT/GENERAL SUPPORT MAINTENANCE
TM9-2320-260-34-2 DIRECT SUPPORT/GENERAL SUPPORT MAINTENANCE
TM9-2320-260-34P-1 DIRECT SUPPORT/GENERAL SUPPORT MAINTENANCE,RP,STL
TM9-2320-260-34P-2 DIRECT SUPPORT/GENERAL SUPPORT MAINTENANCE,RP,STL
TM9-2320-260-10-HR HAND RECEIPT COVERING BASIC ISSUE ITEMS/COMPONENTS
TM55-2320-260-15-1 TRANSPORTABILITY GUIDANCE

I haven't checked to see if these are on this site, and if so, if they are the same editions...

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The manual posted here is just a parts manual. The injector rebuild is way to complicated for us here, besides, you need a Hartridge injector machine to flow the injectors. Same for the fuel pumps. IF you got all the correct parts..the governer springs are color coded.. you could get the pump close. It would run, but most likely you'd have issues that would make the drivability suffer. Leave the fuel system components to a shop that does them on a regular basis. The engine...those are easy! I have a few Cummins manuals..sorry, no military TMs..that will give step by step tear down, inspection and rebuild/repair of the engine and components..W/P, lube pump, accessory drive, etc. The only problem is, Cummins and the DOD agreed on an engine that was a mix of old and new technology. Non DFC lube system, like a 220, on an engine that would normally have a DFC lube system. If there are military TMs available, I'd get those if you don't have experience on the old Cummins stuff. If not, I could copy them to PDF and post here. It will take time though, it's long process. Let me know if you guys with the big iron want one here.

CGarbee

WillWagner said:
Leave the fuel system components to a shop that does them on a regular basis. The engine...those are easy! I have a few Cummins manuals..sorry, no military TMs..that will give step by step tear down, inspection and rebuild/repair of the engine and components..W/P, lube pump, accessory drive, etc. quote]

Snipped the quote above pretty hard... :)

I just got my PT pump back from a local shop that does all the rebuild work for the local Guard Unit as well as for commercial customers. They do great work, are resonably priced, love to chat when you drop off/pick up, and turn things around quickly. I really enjoyed reading the TM on how it's done jwhile the pump was in the shop ust so that I would have a better understanding of the process and how everything went together (and I just like to know how things work anyway...).

The military TM that I referenced above has the step by step tear down, inspection and rebuild/repair of the engine and components. Accessory (such as alternators and starters) tear down and rebuild are handled in other TM's that are referenced ...

Info from your collection of Cummins manuals would make for interesting reading and comparison to the military TM's. NO rush on seeing any of it though as I've go a long way to go before I've got as much of the military ones digested as I'd like. One thing that would be interesting is a comparison of the military 250 and a higher horsepower model since I know of at least two folks on this forum who would love to have about forty more horses when pulling some hills with a load... Or thoughts that you might have on getting more out of the NHC250...

Thanks,

Cdub

Gamagoat1 said:
Thanks for the help guys! I'll digest the manuals here before I get in any deeper. It runs great just want to be prepared.
Getting a complete set of manuals would be your best bet.

As they have helped me out greatly with my M925.

Just drop Brian a message. He should be able to hook
you up with some manuals that your looking for to
get you started.........

bigbeemorrison@juno.com

seya,

C'dub

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting more power and RPM out of the 855 is easy too, but, if they aren't piston cooled, I wouldn't advise doing it. Next week when we go to Fontana, I'll look at some of the 250's that they have on the ground and see what they are like.

WillWagner said:
Getting more power and RPM out of the 855 is easy too, but, if they aren't piston cooled, I wouldn't advise doing it. Next week when we go to Fontana, I'll look at some of the 250's that they have on the ground and see what they are like.
I turned up the fuel just a tad and have no trouble raising the exhaust temp into the NO ZONE! I am the only driver of this unit and acustomed to monitering this type of thing so its not a big deal. i guess my point is dont bother turning up the fuel on the 250's as you really cant use it with out heating it to the melting point. need to get the 335 done and do a transplant. then we will have a little more to work with.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a cummins user group somewhere? I find the NHC-250 interesting and want to find out what it was used in so widely.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks