• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

28 MT starter Support braker failure

cucvrus

This is the second time I had one of the GM 28 MT starter bracket supports break. These trucks don't need any help chewing flywheels. Of course this happened while I was out 4 days for some surgery. And today I was told the truck makes a funny sound when you start it. I had to ask ? What is funny about that sound? DSCF6327.jpgDSCF6326.jpgDSCF6328.jpgDSCF6330.jpgDSCF6329.jpgTo the trained ear that is a horrible sound. Nothing funny about it. So I lay down and crawled under the ruck and I saw the bolt missing out of the Bendix fork???
Then I said can I get someone to remove this starter? I had a good guy to do it. I stood by and instructed. He told me the starter fell out after he removed the 2 nose bolts. I was puzzled. I put the starter in and always check support brackets when having it serviced. I went and pulled a rebuilt starter from my stock and when I got back the starter and bracket in the pictures is what you I saw. This is the second GM 28MT support bracket to break. Not the same vehicle but the same break. I will be adding another piece to the bracket to add strength. Maybe weld a thin strip of flat bar on both sides. Ply strength/laminated. Sounds Logical. Anyway back on the truck and back in service. The bolt gone. I use lock tight on every bracket bolt so i don't have them loose. This bracket is cheesy on looking at the new one. Hopefully no Flex-plate/flywheel needing to be replaced on this unit.

48cj2a

After seeing your pictures, the bracket I removed from the block recently looks exactly like it and I assumed someone had cut it.

cucvrus

And just for the record the 28 MT starter support brackets are still available at the GM dealer. I bought 2 today GM part number 23502557 list for $16.96 each. Cannot hardly spend the time to make one at that price. I will be ply welding a piece of steel on each side of the broken bracket for R & D purposes. They both broke at the exact same place. I will post pictures of my upgrade.

cucvrus

DSCF6352.jpgDSCF6353.jpgDSCF6357.jpgDSCF6354.jpgDSCF6355.jpgDSCF6356.jpgI picked up a starter and alternator at the rebuild shop today. Both are as good as new. I also had them put the solid steel pulley on the alternator. Bill was $225. for both with me supplying the cores.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks