• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

28 Volt DC Generator Question

Kora

I acquired the following generator from GL.;

US Army Ordnance Corp
Minowitz Mfg. Model; DC 4.2 - ORD/28, 28 volt 4.2 KW, 150 Amp, SR No; 110. NSN; 6115008571397. (with 4A032 engine)
My questions are;
(1). There are two, 2 hole, plug-ins, one near the engine start push button switch, the other on the opposite side of the unit. What are these plug ins for?
(2). Where these generators were used, what applications?
(3). Are there any manuals like TM?
(4). I see the engine start switch but I do not see the starter motor on the engine. where is it?
Thanks,

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
See below post and disregard this info:

1. Those are slave receptacles, used to plug in the slave cable
2. They were used to charge vehicles with dead batteries, specifically in arctic environments
3. Yes
4. These are rope pull start

Last edited:

Chief_919

What you have is the older model DC generator used on the M577 tracked command post as an auxiliary power unit. It powered all the radios and other electronics instead of running the main engine all the time. What you see on plugs is the DC output from the generator and the dc power from the tracks batteries to the start circuit.

It does have electric start. These units are very different than the ones typically used for battery charging.

The manuals should be here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?155346-All-the-TM-s-you-need-for-the-4-2-KW-Gen-set

Guyfang

Staff member
I acquired the following generator from GL.;

US Army Ordnance Corp
Minowitz Mfg. Model; DC 4.2 - ORD/28, 28 volt 4.2 KW, 150 Amp, SR No; 110. NSN; 6115008571397. (with 4A032 engine)
My questions are;
(1). There are two, 2 hole, plug-ins, one near the engine start push button switch, the other on the opposite side of the unit. What are these plug ins for?
(2). Where these generators were used, what applications?
(3). Are there any manuals like TM?
(4). I see the engine start switch but I do not see the starter motor on the engine. where is it? The Starter/Generator is hooked to the engine. Simply hook a 24 volt power source to one of the slave reptiles and hit the start switch.
Thanks,
m