• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2nd gear....

i do the same if im on flat ground and empty. it just pulls and takes off so easy. now if i got a incline i use 1st. but if you have air shift it should not hurt anything. my 5 ton i use first everytime cause of the sprag case

tmbrwolf

2nd, 3rd gear syncro collar is held to the shaft with a single woodruff key, I get them in the shop here because folks do exactly that, start off in second gear and shear the key (especially when loaded) then they lose both gears! My advice DON'T DO IT!, start in first gear.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am puzzled at the sheared key statement. Why, if taking off in second gear shears a key, why does it not shear when under full engine load, in the mud or other hard pulls? WE have done both here on the farm under bad conditions with no problem. We have never had a problem from second gear starts, but then we are truck drivers and mechanics and know how to conserve on clutches and be sensible. In my experience, using your sense when starting out in second gear in a truck that has no load in it is no problem, especially deuces. We start in first on five tone because of the greater truck weight, especially like the M543A2 wrecker. The magazine article is put out by the military because they have to deal with drivers who just came out of driving cars only, probably automatics, therefore do not understand trucks, so they have to make a rule that applies to all, even those who do understand trucks.
We did find that on government set-up trucks we have bought on GL the fuel rate is set so low that one has to rev the motor to get it to launch without stalling. We set the fuel rate up and find that you can just ease out on the clutch without having to rev the motor to get it to move out. This makes starting out in second easier, and with less clutch plate wear-inducing revving of the motor. This also brings up the much used statement "turn 'em up, blow 'em up" which is a lot of baloney if you are a savvy operator. You control the fuel rate with your foot, and the length of time it is used. Be sensible, and you will not have a problem.
Regards Marti

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I start off in 1st at all times. Just habit I guess. I am in no hurry, if I was I wouldn't be driving the deuce. rofl

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There seems to be misunderstanding regarding the sprag shifting in the five tons. The concept that the sprag is not properly engaged unless you go to first gear does not fit with my experience with them. I had to de-bug a problem with one of my five tons shifting the transfer and find that the sprag shifting happens at two times. It goes into the reverse mode when the stick goes into reverse. It goes into forward mode as soon as the stick returns to the neutral position. Since it is in forward mode when the stick goes to neutral, any forward gear you select will find the sprag properly engaged. You can try it by listening to the sound of the shifting in the transfer as you move the transmission shift lever from reverse to neutral. There is no "neutral" position on the sprag, so the shifts you hear are from forward to reverse modes only. You must have air pressure up to do it.
I do not mean to say one or the other starting out method is right or wrong. I only relate our experience over the years. I respect other's ways if they work for them.
Regards Marti

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I start also in 1st and have done so for 8 years now. You don't want to mess with Connie....
Yea you better read Connie again it says you may have 10 to 20 tons on your back. Not 2 1/2 tons or empty. The Deuce does not need first low to start off. Second low is fine and if you can't tell by the way the clutch comes out and you don't have to add any fuel would tell you. First is a deep reduction gear and to me ment to be use to carrie the truck to solid ground and you don't shift out that gear till you are out of it or it is the gear you ford or go through the mud in my .02

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks