• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3/4" Towbar Pins

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need some thoughts here. I have an extra towbar and the only feet I have for it are 3/4". I can cut some bushings and bush up the center of the pins to 1". Is there a strength consideration here? The way I'm looking at it is that the length adjusting pins are 3/4 so would.there be any compromise? Both pins are set up in a double shear location.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't hesitate to do that and use it on CUCVs, but not sure about bigger trucks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've always felt that way too but the bar is rated at 39,000# with the 3/4" adjusting pins. Just saying.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "medium light" towbar(rated the same as the medium) has even smaller pins in the extension legs. Food for thought.

3dAngus

I suspect the bar is rated at 39K with the one inch towbar feet. The limiting factor with the 3/4" pin feet is the military vehicle itself, that have the 3/4" front bumper pins under the shackle, meaning, all the vehicles with 3/4" pin shackle are going to be inherently lighter.

If you compare the 3/4" feet next to the 1" feet, you will see there is going to be much greater strength in the 1" around the outside of the diameter of the pinholes.

That is what kept me from drilling out my excess supply of 3/4" feet to one inch holes.
I ended up buying three sets of 1" feet from Texas for a whopping $100 a set plus shipping.
I probably broke a record on those purchases.
The one inch have been in short supply for 2 1/2 months now. 3/4" are readily available on the market. It seems it's either rags or riches. I was buying 1" feet 4 months ago for anywhere from $40-65.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
My dad drove an M88a2 in the army, now I know they use the heavy tow bar but the same principal applies, he would use a track pin cut in half and bent on one end with a nut on the other. He said it made it alot easier to line up the feet onto the towed vehicle because the pin was smaller than the one you were supposed to use. I asked about strength issues using a smaller pin? He said "I've towed and backed 2 M114 APC's at a time and never had a problem."
So what I'm getting at is, run the 3/4" feet with the 3/4" pins in the 1" hole in the deuce shackle mount and call it good.

emr

I would only do it in a pinch, what is done in the field and on a conus road is very very different, like said in other posts, its fine until something goes wrong, and that just sayin here out loud , that may not have caused an accident but in a bad situation anything found not correct can just add to the confusion and be a possible problem, I wouldn't do it any way to be honest, off road i would to get home, and maybe a short slow hop on road, but thats it, since U asked thats my 3 cents... good luck... :) Oh there is no where near the strain on the leg that just slides and a foot that does all kind of crazy stuff when in use, that is obvious like said above, the light has even lighter leg pins, and thats all it needs.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the input folks. These 3/4" feet will remain with the M1008 and used exclusively for that and smaller stuff.