• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3 batteries

MAdams

Over the past few years I have had a handful of batteries spontaneously short internally leaving them completely dead. This has happened in my 5 ton, two of my cars and my pickup. I use 2 batteries in the 5 ton now but I had a spare battery that wasn't hooked up, and when one of the batteries that was in use died, I was able to use the spare.

I don't need all 4 batteries because it never gets cold here, but I do like the idea of having a spare battery. Whats the best way to use 3? 24v to 12 v converter always charging the spare? Hook the spare up in parallel to one of the batteries in use?

Nomadic

I don't know about the 5-ton or 24 volt system, but the batteries need juice to stay good long-term. I have a practice to either use a battery tender on 24/7 or start the vehicle and let it run for a while once a week. If the batteries you have shorted out, maybe there is some other problem outside of a maintenance issue. Like the battery source.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Run your normal 2 battery setup then run your 24v + and - to the 3rd battery. But it won't solve your problem cause im sure the 12v battery isnt charging

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

someoldmoose

Simp, since there aren't already pages of posts I'll take this opportunity to ask a question.

Preamble:
M820, four batteries connected to make 24v. Is there any reason why I could not "split off" one of the batts to have 3 in the 24v circuit with the fourth being exclusively 12v to power aftermarket accessories ? Does this truck really NEED all four batteries to crank ? I know "buzzin dozen" Kenworths that only had two 1000 cca batteries and even when cold had no problem.

I will have a 12v smart charger hooked to a shore line until I can arrange something better ( a tandem alternator is my first choice, saw a nice one on a site I found in here ) to keep the one batt charged and plan to have an inverter / charger for the 24v system.

Does my plan hold water ?

I will add, this is just for Phase 1 - deconstruction and box build. End game is to have solar panels covering the roof AND a diesel A P U.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Simp, since there aren't already pages of posts I'll take this opportunity to ask a question.

Preamble:
M820, four batteries connected to make 24v. Is there any reason why I could not "split off" one of the batts to have 3 in the 24v circuit with the fourth being exclusively 12v to power aftermarket accessories ? Does this truck really NEED all four batteries to crank ? I know "buzzin dozen" Kenworths that only had two 1000 cca batteries and even when cold had no problem.

I will have a 12v smart charger hooked to a shore line until I can arrange something better ( a tandem alternator is my first choice, saw a nice one on a site I found in here ) to keep the one batt charged and plan to have an inverter / charger for the 24v system.

Does my plan hold water ?

I will add, this is just for Phase 1 - deconstruction and box build. End game is to have solar panels covering the roof AND a diesel A P U.
Just run two 8ds for the truck to start and operate on and run whatever you want for other things as long as they are seperate. The m809 series trucks have a glow plug so its not hard when its cold. Even then with two 8Ds and a gear reduction starter from clint and a properly running truck will be fine starting.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

someoldmoose

Thank you Simp sir. I will add the G R starter to my list. ( Clint, if you see this could you maybe PM me a ballpark price. It will be a while so I won't hold you to anything) Having 2 batts for for each voltage will be even more awesomer. Thanks.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks