• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3 different M37 hardtops

mdog

Here is an orange oval window, a green rectangular sliding window, and a red rectangular non sliding window. I read the oval top is from a WWII truck that is adapted to the M37 and the sliding window is the correct top. My questions are:

What about the rectangular window that does not slide? It is on a late model(1962) and fits good and has more headroom than the other two. Is it the correct military issue top for a M37? Was there a change in tops between early and late models? The red top is the one I plan to use because it is already on the truck and is in the best condition but I wonder if its the correct top or something else. It looks too good to be homemade.
m37 018.jpg

m37 019.jpg

m37 020.jpg

m37 021.jpg

Richard

tmbrwolf

Here's my best guess, the oval window top is for a WWII CCKW, and modified to fit the M37, the sliding window top looks to be an issue top made for the M37, the last is a home built top. I've seen some really good home made (looks like factory) to some really sloppy ones, looks to me like somebody knew what they were doing and did an outsdanding job!

m109guy

Only the second, green top, looks like an original top.

The other two are after-market or specially made due to the odd windows and sizing.

Like tmbrwolf said, the first one looks like a modified CCKW top (you can tell because it is not wide enough and a modification had to be made for the door windows.

I also agree that the third one looks like it was made to order due to the height of the roof (made to give the driver more head room). Lots of fire departments bought M37's over the years and had local shops make hard tops for them.

Hope that helps.

m376x6

The oval window top is a very early military adaptation of an existing metal cabtop. I believe it was from the CCW series but don't remember for sure. The middle sliding window top is a designed for top that the military bought through contract. The bottom top is an aftermarket variety. Unsure of the source, there were a few. It was replaced with an aftermarket fiberglass variety. I have seen four versions used on the M37.

Regards,
M376X6

pwrwagonfire

The first one is from a WWII CCKW Ive been told, I infact have the EXACT same top/set up on mine. Very interesting to see that both of ours have the same mounting brakets to attach the top to the cab...I wonder if this was a kit/set of plans

Attachments