3 Jake heads under a stock M809 hood!!!

Jakelc15

Active member
720
29
28
Location
Hanover Pa
I found that solenoid. Your a little far away to swing by and get it! Pm me your address and I'll drop it in the mail.
 

US6x4

Well-known member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
841
800
93
Location
Wenatchee, WA
One last add-on that I just finished (sorry it's not a video of jakes operating)

The reservoir tank lost its support bracket when the lift hook got removed for clearance so I finally got a new bracket made up to take its place. The new bracket is a slimmer, ambidextrous, 10 gauge version of the lift hook but with the flanges bent the opposite directions. I still need another 1/2" nut and that bolt really should be 1/4" shorter, but it's good for the interim.

20200618_114725.jpg
20200618_114753.jpg
20200622_112059.jpg
20200622_113934.jpg
20200622_113940.jpg
 
Last edited:

G744

Well-known member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
613
467
63
Location
Hidden Valley, Az
I mentioned the hood clearance as there was an 800- series in a local guard unit with a little box welded to the hood to allow fit.

Cheesy looking...

DG
 

US6x4

Well-known member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
841
800
93
Location
Wenatchee, WA
The Canadian M809s had a "hood scoop" to clear their jake heads which is probably similar to the little box you're talking about:

Canadian M813A1.jpg
 

US6x4

Well-known member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
841
800
93
Location
Wenatchee, WA
Where did you get your jake brake parts? Your link didn't work? I have model 30a.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I got the jake brakes from Stour 2 LLC http://www.stour2.com/
The jake head to rocker box seals I got from Cummins and the gaskets were Interstate McBee

Edit: to clarify, the jake brakes i got came in a kit that included all the studs, nuts, rocker arms, and everything but the 3 hollow set screws.
 
Last edited:

US6x4

Well-known member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
841
800
93
Location
Wenatchee, WA
Here's an update since the install about the two problems I've had so far:

The first problem was that 2 of the 3 electrical male spade connectors snapped off most likely from enbrittlement. They arrived bent, I straightened them, they got bent during painting, then straightened, and bent again during install. I made new metal strips to replace them and the nylon hex bolts they're molded into cracked open at the seams when replacing them so I packed them full of glue and reinstalled rather then spend $26 apiece for new ones. The new homemade ones work great so far.

The second problem didn't reveal itself until I installed the turbo but I found the road draft tube rubbing on the hood cross member. Other members have mentioned seeing this issue so I was suspicious and now I'm seeing what they were seeing. I clearanced the front-most flange of that cross member to clear.

20210925_170702.jpg

20210925_170716.jpg

20210926_142438.jpg

Now on the functional side these jake brakes are bad ass! They work great and I want to use them all the time. Now with the turbo & 5" exhaust they sound amazing and have a huge bark 😁

I think I should head up to snob hill at 3am to let others enjoy the magnificent sound...!
 
Top
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks