• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

33" tires on M1009 CUCV

M1075

I am interested in getting some 33" tires for my stock M1009. I have been through several old threads and it sounds like 10.5 tires on stock rims will clear and 12.5 tires on stock rims might require some fender trimming.

If you have/had 33" tires on a M1009 (stock rims), could you answer these questions and post any pics here that you might have?

1. What size/brand/tread 33" tires are you using?
2. How would you rate the road & offroad performance?
3. With stock gearing, were your disappointed with acceleration/perfomance?
4. Was any tire rubbing evident? Did you trim the fenders?
5. Please share any other words of wisdom you feel is relevant.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

Nope, never had one myself but from past experiences I can say that if you use the stock rims 33x12.5R15's SHOULD fit for regular use provided your springs aren't saggy. Hard flexing or impacts could definitely put the tires into the fenders but normal use and even sedate wheeling wouldn't cause any issues.

Bobert

Well, I didn't use stock wheels, I used 15x 10'' wheels with 33x12.50 tires.

I used some Mud terrain retread tires that are way cheaper than new stuff. http://treadwright.com/

Offroad was better in ruts and sloppy stuff than my 31 all terrains. In 4 hi it didnt want to spin the tiress as much as the 31s, but They did get me out of a nasty rutty hole in the middle of the night out in the country.

On road, They were pretty darn quiet for a mud terrain and have the tone of semi tires on the highway. I didn't balance them, but they didnt shake much until about 65mph.

Acceleration was something i really worried about, but I was suprised how little difference there was. It wasn't really any slower, but If you were on gravel, I couldnt peel out where I could a little with the 31s. Other than that they were fine.

I would like to switch to stock rims, because they did rub more than I like. I trimmed a tiny chunk of the bottom on both sides. I hated to cut it, but it was worth it and I will carry those peices in my glove box so I don't lose a part of the truck.
I never had any rubbing other than the bottom corner when turning on a bump though and I thin that's because of the 10'' rims.

A warning, This will get you more attention from the ladies. One even said mine was nice. [thumbzup]

Attachments

M1075

Bobert, thanks for the great response and feedback! I'm going to look into the retreads @ the link you provided. Is that a 31" spare or 33"?

Bobert

Yep, that is a 31'' spare. I am too cheap to find another 33''.

I had the 33s on for about a month then I put the 31s back on. They look tiny now!
I have great access to a tire shop where I can change them out to match my moods.

I like those retreads I priced some 33s at Sam's club @ $165 for one BFG mud terrain. $80 for a retread. easy choice.

I had to wait a week or two because they were out of stock but you just have to call and get put on the waiting list for them to make you some fresh if they don't have your flavor.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I put them on our 1984 M1009 and they run just fine. I got them on closeout at Pep Boys and only paid about 35.00 per tire so a full size spare is in the truck too. I think it improves the trucks looks and the milage is at least as good if not better and performance from a 6.2 liter even with stock tires this is no dragster. The speedo reads about four miles an hour slower with them on. I got the rear windows dark tinted for my Son's birthday present and the truck looks great now.

Rebelpride

RE: Sorry for the poor pictures

So... 33/12.50/15's will fit on a stock M1009 without rubbing or need of trimming as long
as my springs aren't sagging too much?
What makes the springs sag? Heavy front end, age, poor design?

AJMBLAZER

RE: Sorry for the poor pictures

Age, use, heavy engine, abuse, neglect, bad steel that day at the foundry, etc etc etc.

They'll fit if you use the right rims as noted above. Trimming would make sure they never rub if you use the right rims but isn't necessary for daily driving (usually).

devilman96

After seeing Starlight's tires in person I am thinking about yanking off the brand new 31's I just bought and putting on 33's... It makes a huge difference in the trucks appearance!!!

seabee mike

I hate to bring up something so old but it is the best thread i can find for my question.

I have a torn rubber boot on the steering ball joint. Drivers side. My new 33'' tires ripped it right off. How can I fix this? Will a 4'' lift keep the tire off the steering joint? Is there something else? My tire have a bite on the sides so that does not help.

I've got 33/12.5/15 Firestone Destination M/T's on my stock wheels. I have a 2 inch rough country lift though. I dont THINK these tires will fit because of the aggressive lugs( they will be fine for on road use, but you MIGHT run into some minor rub when you're at full tilt). However, not all 33's are truly 33's. These firestones are 32 5/8 tall. If this is strictly a pavement queen, you can probably get away with a A/T 33 inch tire. Like the fellers said before me, a lot depends on the condition of your springs. My springs were tired and wore out. The 2 inch suspension lift springs are exactly flat when the vehicle weight is on it. The stock springs are about an inch reversed...

The 2 inch lift was well worth it IMO. My springs were SHOTTTTTT. My 09 rides like a cadillac now that I have new springs and tires! http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/65439-m1009-before-after.html

1. What size/brand/tread 33" tires are you using? Firestone Destination M/T 33/12.50/15
2. How would you rate the road & offroad performance? Off-road performance is great. On road-they are noisy. noisy is an understatement!
3. With stock gearing, were your disappointed with acceleration/perfomance? Not at all disappointed. Because of the increase in tire size, my MPG on the highway went from 22 to 23.5-24 MPG! I know it isnt much, but that little drop in RPM at highway speed (62-65 MPH) will save ya some $$ in the long run.
4. Was any tire rubbing evident? Did you trim the fenders? N/A
5. Please share any other words of wisdom you feel is relevant.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks