• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

353 IP Bulb - Where are they, Bulb Voltage Conversion Chart

houdel

I need to refresh my IP bulbs with something brighter to compensate for my aging eyes.. In the thread on blue dash instrument lights, http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3827 G744 suggested that a number 353 bulb would be the brightest IP lamp. Where can I find these? Saturn Surplus has #1818 bulbs at $1.00 each, and NAPA can order #1819 bulbs at $1.44 ea or #313 bulbs at $1.69 ea. The NAPA bulbs have to be ordered in packs of 10.

Does anyone have another source for the #353 bulb? Failing that, which of the #1818, #1819 or #313 bulbs would be the brightest in an IP dash light configuration? As it stands now, with my dash lights on bright, I can only read my speedo up to about 20 MPH, after that it fades out, and I can't read any of my other instruments at all.

FYI, while doing some extensive Googling for 24-28 volt military bulbs, I did find the following 6-12-24 volt conversion chart:
http://www.federal-mogul.com/fmeconnect/technicalservices/downloads/4102.pdf

rdixiemiller

Take the speedo out and clean the little windows on the side with a Q-tip. My deuce had the lexan lens covers, which had yellowed a good bit. I replaced the speedo and tach with the older units with the glass lenses, BIG DIFFERENCE!
I have replaced almost all the gauges with the older units. The Lexan (polycarbonate) lenses are much more shatter resistant, but they yellow and craze enough to make them hard to see through when back lit.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lee, I don't have any reference info on the #353 Bulb.

The #1818 has a brightness of 3.3 MSCD (Mean Sperical Candelas)
The #1819 has 0.34 and the #313 has 3.3 MSCD.

There are a several things you can do to improve brightness:

Firstly, clean all instruments, they get dirty in time. I'm talking about the part that lets the light through along the perimeter.

Secondly, check the lenses that hold the light bulbs, some are darker than others. A lighter red will give you more brightness.

Thirdly, check the position of the bulb filament (the actual source of the light), it may be too far out and will not provide max illumination. Correct this by adding a washer between the light holder and instrument panel to move the bulb/filament further into the dash. Doesn't take much, 1/16 inch may help.

Fourthly, drill holes in the lamp lens to get more light on the instruments.

Lastly, add another lamp holder in the center of the panel.

If all else fails use, a flashlight.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have plenty of 353 lamps. PM me if you need some.

The good thing about using them is the filament is BEHIND the panel, rather than in front of it, thereby putting more available light where you need it.

ddg

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
G744 said:
I have plenty of 353 lamps. PM me if you need some.
ddg
Did you ever get around to checking the number, it's nowhere to be found?

The 356 bulb has its filament in a lower location by about 0.13 inches (according to spec sheet), may be worth trying. It's also brighter...

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks