• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

383 Paint texture question and more questions!

Warren Lovell

I was looking at and feeling the paint inside my deuce and my M1009...(my wife had a headache that night).
The paint has a sort of sandy gritty texture to it. Is this strictly a military paint characteristic? My M1009 does not have "CARC" stenciled nor does my M35A2. I think perhaps sand or something simular must be added to the paint to give it the true flatness...

What paint gun orfice recommendations do you guys have for shooting this paint?

I was wondering if I am going to get the same texture from the Gillespie paint?

And is the Gillespie 383 a direct match for CARC?

Has anyone come up with that cool desert tan color number? I have three gallons of Gillespie Sand, but prefer the lighter shade of the Desert Storm era vehicles.

Warren

Low-Tech-Redneck

We painted our 105 trailer w/ 383 from GCI and if it's not a 100% match to the critical eye, it's darn close, and looks great. When aplied with a regular spray gun, it shouldn't have any texture at all.

rdixiemiller

A properly applied flat paint (Military) should have the same feel as a new chalkboard. About a 1000 grit surface. A lot of the military motor pool jobs are pretty rough looking, orange peel and runs.

bozozimbo

The paint I used on my M35a2 for the desert sand effect is a Honda color. Its called Desert Sand and I added a quart of finish deadener to each gallon to flatten it. I could give you the number but I am in the process of a move and the empty can with the numbers is somewhere in my storage unit.
Its a perfect match for the GI color......those of you that remember the pics I posted of my truck might agree. l would also post a pic but once again my computer is in the same storage , unfortunately i have no pics on this laptop.
If you have access to paint books....just look thru the mid 80s Honda colors...you will find it.
I used acrylic enamel when I painted my duece.

SSG Jimbo

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RDD How much is the S-W CARC a gallon? Or 5 gallon bucket? Can any S-W retailer get it or is it special order only?

Jones

The gritty texture you're feeling is silica & cristobolite and some other equally unpleasant abrasives added to CARC paint to make it more scuff resistant and to enhance it's low IR reflectivity properties.
Granted, motor pools are not Autorama grade paint shops but the new paints aren't supposed to be very smooth to begin with.
Hentzen Coatings also makes CARC paint but I encourage the reading of any and all applicable MSDS' - 'cause it's not a friendly paint to apply or maintain.
Two numbers we have in our book for Desert Tan-Mid.East. are Fed Std 595b 33303 and 33446 (old # Tan 686). Go to www.milspray.com/fedstd595bcolors.htm & click on the "Search Fed-Std-595B Color Database Here" link, then enter any FS595b five digit color code to see a sample colorchip, or enter several separated by commas but no spaces to see comparisons.
Hope this helps, Jones