• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

395/85r20 bed clearance

rtadams89

I'm in the process of swapping my old, worn Michelin XLs from my M35A2 for new Goodyear MV/T 395/85r20 tires. I'm using A3 rims. I just put the first one on and was surprised just how much larger it was. I know there will be enough clearness between the two rear axles, but I'm curious if anyone has had issues with the tires hitting the underside of the bed at full articulation? If so, I suppose I will need to add spacers under the axle bumpers; in that case, any recommendations for how to go about doing so? Washers, cut steel tubing, something else?

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm pretty sure mine hit the bed(XZLs) but what does it matter? Its not to the point that it tears up the tire and its not real easy to get it to make contact, you gotta work for it.

rtadams89

My old tires were 365/80s and we’ll worn so I never had issues with rubbing. That said, in some of my off road adventures, I’ve come close. Unless someone has already investigated this issue, I will likely just put some rectangular steel tubing under the axel bumpers.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Lots of things to consider here. What rim are you running? If its a stock rim, I would worry more about the front tires hitting the louvers in the inner fenders(I ripped mine up pretty good). I went to re-centered hemtt rims and fixed that issue, and the issue of hitting the steering rod with the tire. Yes you can put a spacer on the rear, but the tire only contacts flat steel, so its not a real issue imho.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had 395s on stock wheel and on MRAP wheels on my deuce. The tires will rub slightly on the bed but no damage will occur. The louvers on the front are a big problem with stock wheels. I solved that problem by widening the front wheels 3 inches to the outside. This was easy to do by cutting three inches of an extra wheel and having it professionally welded to a complete wheel. A stock unwidened wheel with 395s will rub on the pitman arm significantly reducing turn radius to the right.

rtadams89

For those of you mentioning the front tires rubbing on the louvers, is that an issue with A3 rims or only with the A2 rims? From reading other threads, I was under the impression that wouldn't be a significant issue with A3 rims.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks