• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

395 or 1400 on 818 for pulling and height issues

Hooty481

What do you all think? My 11.00's are good tread but coming apart and only allow for 55 mph as most of you all know. I am going to put a turbo on the truck so power won't be an issue from what I have read from other people. I want to keep the truck as low as possible. My main concern would be top speed and height. what do y'all think?

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To get speed, you will have to have height, or gear. The speed is what it is. You can go to a deeper overdrive, or locate some higher speed axle gears, or taller tires. Tsaller tires will hurt your ability to pull, but if power is not an issue the why care.
You picl, tippy and fast or stable and slow.

M818 with 395's

We have outfitted 4 M818's with 395's over the past year and have had great results. We like the XML's as they are quite aggressive and have a wide footprint.

We are in the process of installing 395 XML's with beadlocks on an M923a1 and 1400x20's XL's with beadlocks on an M818 for a customer. The customer wanted 1400's as he will have the M818 on the highway from time to time and needed better road speed. The M923 will have a large tank and roadspeed was not a concern but having the lowest CG was.

Both are a great looking tire on the M818 so for most hobby guys it's a cosmetic, price or availability decision on what tire size they go with.

Andy

R Racing

if the tire price were the same, I would believe I would go 1400s. yes you loose a bit more tourque, and I love the 395s I have . but a tad bit more speed around here would be nice.

Hooty481

I think that will be fast enough. One reason I'd go 395 is I already have 2 and height issues. Most trailers now look like they are clbing a hill while they are setting still... I am
Mainly pulling a box trailer loaded with wood shavings for beddig horse stalls and I am afraid the 1400's will put me over 13'6"... I guess I need to measure how high it is right now and see how much more I can stand.