• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3D printing section request

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
With over 20 years in CAD/CAM/IT and seeing how 3d printing is becoming a very useful resource in many hobbies I would like to ask for a 3d printing section to be created. The goal would be to develop and share useful models, and general 3d printing support. I spent an hour today on a simple seal driver, and have considered a dozen other useful tools and accessories that would benefit everyone. Example of development and design process images attached.

Attachments

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Is there sheering force on those 2 down facing cylinders? If you have a set of digital calipers and want to take some dimensions i would be happy to CAD it into a STL for you and give it a go in printing it. I feel like 3d printing can really be an asset here in hard to find or expensive parts replacement. I have been pushing the envelope with it for a while, from 2A items in resin to functional intake manifolds in nylon.

twisted60

The 2 thin legs are for spacing, there are 2 short legs that trip the release on the switch, they take a lateral load so they need to be strong. I can pull mine off and send some measurements. I'll send it in a PM.
BTW I love M134's, my aircraft had them installed for 11 years, good times.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
If you can do a basic dimensional drawing I can work from that easily enough. And a few reference photos.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm fine with it. Matter of fact I have a few printers. Creality CR-10 S5 (500x500x500mm capacity) printer, two prusa clones (220x220x220mm), and a Elegoo mars resin printer. The S5 is running just about non stop right now on a big project I'm working on. But the smaller prusa clones are mostly idle. The resin printer is idle right now, but due to the cold temps.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I'm fine with it. Matter of fact I have a few printers. Creality CR-10 S5 (500x500x500mm capacity) printer, two prusa clones (220x220x220mm), and a Elegoo mars resin printer. The S5 is running just about non stop right now on a big project I'm working on. But the smaller prusa clones are mostly idle. The resin printer is idle right now, but due to the cold temps.
Fantastic! Let's fill it up.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For someone who looks at 3D printing as space wizardry, I am very excited that replacement parts or improvement parts made from unobtainium could perhaps be designed and manufactured by our very own group here!
I have nada to contribute on the technical/CAD front but would sure be willing to compensate anyone who 3D prints a useful part for me!

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Websites like thingiverse.com will get you an idea for the breadth of applications current day 3d printing can serve. Is it equivalent to a mill and lathe? No way, but things like printed in place bearings and many structural obstacles can be overcome with proper FDM (plastic printing)/SLA (resin printing) material selection and technique.

In another group we are pushing the envelope for 2A related prints (using phenolic spacers to allow plastic or resin to be used near a hot barrel for example or printing at a 45% angle to get the most durability at the rear of a receiver). My point is that there are those that still see 3d printing as a fad or toy, as it was in it's infancy years ago, things have changed and a lot can be done with a 25 dollar roll of filament or liter of resin.

I built a material testing unit last year, it allows me to test different printing materials and measure elongation failure, shearing failure etc. Printing settings make almost as much of a difference as the material selection. Not everything needs to be rugged however, some items need to look well finished for the application. I look forward to seeing how our community can benefit from this now readily available technology.

Forgot to add, and I will be happy to get to answer some questions rather than only ask so many for a change (thank you all for helping me along the way with my generator and 5 ton lately).

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So, I've been thinking it over. Do we want the new section to be solely 3d printing? Or maybe all sorts of development? There's a few other tinkers here that play with Ardiunos and such to replace some of things like CTIS controllers as well? What about an entire new section and then subsections for 3D printing, arduino/electronics, CNC, and whatever else comes along?

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool! Remember folks, to alert mods to tag threads to be moved and seed the new forums with interest and info.
BDGR

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks